Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Guide to Google's Keyword Planner

steve8755
Trust:

Guide to Google's Keyword Planner

It is located in Google AdWords under Tools and Analysis, then select "Search for new keywords and group ideas". Type your keyword under "Your product or service". Click on the Keyword tab, click on the "Avg Monthly Searches", this sorts the column from highest to lowest.

Look for avg monthly searches over 3,000, then in the Google search bar, type in the keyword placing quotation marks at the beginning and the end of the keyword. This will give you the number of sites with this exact keyword match.

You are looking for low competition, under 50,000 sites. Use your keyword in the title and the first sentence, and about 3% of your site or article.

Anymore than that and your site will not get a high ranking do to keyword stuffing. I hope this cleared up questions about the Keyword Planner and you can put it to good use.
Learn how to make money online, drive free traffic, and create blogs and websites with ease.
http://www.getoutofdebtlikeme.com

daljeet.kaur
Trust:
Nice. Good explanation. Google adwords keyword planner is really a very good platform to select keywords. We can make a choice from lot of keywords by keeping competition of keywords in mind.
kurt
Trust:
I don't think you have to put your keywords in quotes to get exact search results. I read somewhere that the keyword planner automatically shows you the "exact" match now, unlike the old version where you had to check exact match. I'm pretty sure this is how the new one works, does anybody know for sure?
mattmillan
Trust:
Hi all, i bought the affiloblueprint 2.0 programme way back in 2010 and due an unexpected pregnancy and subsequent child i've left it in a closet on my C drive for some time. Having restarted from week 1 this very week i'm struggling with some of the new software not covered in v2. My biggest issue so far has been this 'new' (i'm not sure how old it is) google keword planner. Your post has really cleared up a lot, as has youtube, but im still not sure on 1 thing. Mark's official line in V2 is that the old keyword tool found the figures and traffic travis told you about the competition. Does the competition column in keyword planner make traffic travis redundant? or is it still worth a look at Travis?
kurt
Trust:
The competition column in the keyword planner just gives you an idea how much competition there is for a keyword. It doesn't give you any idea how easy it will be to rank for that keyword. Traffic Travis will give you an idea how easy it will be to rank for the keyword and it will tell you other things about your competition too - like their page rank and how many backlinks they have going to their page.
eliomondello
Trust:
kurt wrote:I don't think you have to put your keywords in quotes to get exact search results. I read somewhere that the keyword planner automatically shows you the "exact" match now, unlike the old version where you had to check exact match. I'm pretty sure this is how the new one works, does anybody know for sure?

It's no longer possible to use exact match as you can learn here https://moz.com/blog/keyword-research-and-targetin...
kurt
Trust:
That link doesn't seem to work. Maybe this one will:

https://moz.com/blog/keyword-research-and-targeting-without-exact-match-whiteboard-friday

And here's a link to the adwords article:

http://adwords.blogspot.com/2014/08/close-variant-matching-for-all-exact.html

I can't understand any of that stuff so I don't really know if it's going to have any effect on how we use the keyword tool for keyword research. Maybe someone else can make sense of it.

This topic was started on Jan 01, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.