Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Google Alerts

cassie
Trust:

Google Alerts

Does Google Alerts actually send you every single link "as it happens", or do they hold some back?

Thank you.
faradina
Trust:
I believe it would depend on the settings that you select.

If you pick "Everything" for "Type", then you would get everything.

If you pick "once a day" or "once a week" for "How often", then you would not get it as it happens.

If you pick "Only the best results" for "Volume" then you would not get all results.
cassie
Trust:
Thank you for your reply.

I do have it set to "everything", however I wasn't sure if they actually do send every single one, as they don't give you all of the links when you do a "link: yoursite.com" search.
faradina
Trust:
I would say that the link command (link: yoursite.com) in search is treated differently, as it is not exactly a "normal" search. Ordinary users do not type in that kind of search.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
you should be glad that they don't give all that info away on a search. the only people who would be likely to do that type of search would be yourself or another marketer trying to backtrack what you are doing. That is part of why Google doesn't show everything. they know you don't want your competition to see everything that you do.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

cassie
Trust:
I agree with you. I am glad that they don't show everything.

However, the question was whether or not Google Alerts operates in the same way. Will they show you every link "as it happens", or just some of them ?

Thank you.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
as fara said, that depends on the settings you choose. you have 3 options : as it happens, once a day or once a week. also, you can choose to send everything, the best sources, blogs, news, videos, etc...
there are a lot of options available to select from. you can also choose to have it emailed or subscribe to a feed for Google reader, which is a great tool to use anyway.

I usually set mine to everything, once a day and send it to google reader, which I read every day, since I am also reading up on all the blogs that i follow daily for content ideas as well as looking for blog posts to comment on for links.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

cassie
Trust:
Thanks, James.

I have noticed, actually, that even if you have set it to "as it happens", it will still not show you every link. I guess with Google Alerts they follow the same procedure as when you do a link search to a certain domain, that being that you will not see every link, even if you have asked Google to send the links to you "as it happens".
jacaranda
Trust:
Google Alert will show you what their bots found and what is index in their database, i guess... so for the rest of the sites that satisfy your query/alert that is not known to Google, it will not tell you.. at least that's what i think...

(notice some trackback/pingbacks from your blogs if you're using AMA/UAW/SEOLV?.. if you setup an alert with your author name in your resource box, those may not trigger an alert from Google if its still not indexed, but wordpress blogs tells you you have backlink)
newbie-friendly Membership site for Niche Marketing:

-> http://www.nicheproftclassroom.com/

This topic was started on Feb 01, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.