Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Experiencing Link-Building Overload

thejapanguy
Trust:

Experiencing Link-Building Overload

I've been reviewing some of the link building videos and my head is swimming. The videos, as always, are very thorough, and very informative. But I'm trying not to bite off more than I can chew.

There are SOOOO many methods and SOOO many tools...and my budget is SOOO limited (lol).

With a limited budget and limited time. I know I can't buy every tool recommended in the videos, nor can I sign up for every service/directory. That's a quick way for me to go broke.

For those Affilorama members who are experiencing success with their businesses,

Which link-building methods and tools should I focus on? Which ones provide the best value for time spent? Money Spent?

I'm trying to succeed with thin pockets.

Donald Ash
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

Site Admin
maryt
Trust:
Hi Donald,

I understand what you mean and especially for a newbie, these information is quite a lot to cope up with.

However, one tip I could suggest is to always take down notes while watching the video. I find it easier to read my own notes and at the same time remember the things that I just watched/learned. If there are things I cannot fully understand, I also try to watch the same video again and if I still cannot comprehend, then it is best to ask questions :) (You can always ask Support or fellow Affilorama members about your concerns)

Yes, you do not have to buy everything that is recommended in the video. Just one step at a time :) I suggest for starters, try to have a list of priorities and analyze which ones (in the list) you need to buy and which ones you will have to get free. :)

What is good about IM is that almost everything is free. Try to look for free tools in the meantime.

I'm sure a lot of fellow Affilorama members would provide you with their thoughts on which tools/services are good investment. :)

Mary
Not sure which Affilorama tool you need? Take the quiz! https://www.affilorama.com/redirect/quiz

Web: https://www.affilorama.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/affilorama
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

"Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment." ~Sidhhartha Guatama

mark schaaf
Trust:
I understand what you are saying and think that everyone who tries to start making money on line has gone through but just take your time and learn everything you can but not too fast because all the information will make your head spin.

Unless you lost your job there isn't a reason to rush through things. Take your time and if you need to read through things a few times to understand it then fine I know I did. There are many ways to get links and I think for me I started out slow and put up a couple Squidoo pages which allows you to put in a few links that way you can have links to different pages of your site, you can do the same with Hub pages and e-zine articles.

These three are the long way to get links because they require you to write articles. I also post comments on blogs and forums that are related to my site, I know some people say a link is a link but in my mind a link to a baking site from a site that talks about nascar just isn't as good no mater what the page rank is.

If you are going to post comments on blogs and forums make sure your posts are a nice length otherwise the comments may be deleted and make sure the comments are well written and on point with the article. Also some sites want you to join a comment type of place like Disqus where you put in a profile along with your web address which is fine but the only problem with this is that you don't have the opportunity to pick your anchor text because every comment is associated with your profile name, this I haven't found to be a problem since my site is on page one and checking anchor words my name it the most used from anyplace so I don't think is maters as much as I used to.

Another thing to know when posting on blogs and forums is not to post to many times in a day because people don't like to think you are commenting on many different discussions just to get a link. So my advice is take your time take it slow and do everything right the first time, it is much easier this way then going back and trying to fix everything you messed up.
Mark

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Don't know if you have Microsoft Office 2007 or 2010. If you do, Microsoft "OneNote" is an excellent tool for making, keeping and reviewing notes that you make when watching the tutorial videos.

As to which link building tools to prioritize, that's a tough call (at least for me). Guess I'd start with the social networks. Building a Squidoo "Lens" is good (Google loves them) - but takes some work. I've also done pretty well providing answers on the Yahoo Answers site (but you can't link to your own site too often).

I haven't done much free article marketing, but it looks like a good bet too. Above all, follow the Affilorama tutorials advice, basing your priorities on what best suits you as an individual, your methods and styles.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
tokomodem99
Trust:
the key to success is money and luck, if you have money you can build just about anything for your business, but will be quickly destroyed if luck is not accompanying you, I think that's all
thejapanguy
Trust:
Wow! I truly appreciate everybody's input. Every piece is something for me to take to heart. Thank you guys, seriously.
"If you use every drop of potential inside of you, no less, you will accomplish the impossible and your dreams will become tangible."
-Donald Brandon Ash

thejapanguy
Trust:
Quick question for Jim.

I can't lie and say I'm a newbie at this, but I'm kind of a newbie at experiencing success with this. Is there any reason in particular you steered away from the free article marketing side of things?

The reason I ask is because I tried doing quite a bit of article marketing and I didn't see the direct benefits from it (part of the reason I know is because of poor keyword targeting, though).
-Donald Brandon Ash

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
@TheJapanGuy

I respect writing free articles as a marketing method and the few times I've done it, it seemed to help. Just haven't taken the time to do that much of it. As an info product creator/vendor, I seem to spend all my time writing new products or writing blog posts (or writing in forums) - instead of writing articles. Of course it helps if you love to write as I do. But I have 2 other home businesses to run for my clients (local computer consulting and my several web services) - besides my own efforts.

Also, when doing article syndication, I:
1. Used a $35 a pop service - not the free article dump sites (www.thephantomwriters.com)
2. I wasn't scientific about testing results, so can't say for sure that it worked.

My advice is to go with Mark Ling's advice on article syndication as a marketing tool.

Hope this helps...
_jim coe
kinni
Trust:
Concentrate, Focus...these are the words, one should follow. And for that you should select limited options, study it, and then write it, whatever comes to your mind- Now it becomes ONE...Concentrate, Focus- that is your Path....
Ashok Sinha

This topic was started on Nov 21, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.