Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Duplicate Article

carlmasure
Trust:

Duplicate Article

Hi all. I hope you can answer this for me. I have a competitor in the same niche that is offering a very similar product. I noticed that one of his websites is gaining MASSIVE traffic and it's not that old at all--less than 2 months. So, I figure he's done a great job at building backlinks. And, he has. But his back links are to article directories where he has posted the same exact article to each and every article directory, including ezinearticles.

So, how long until Google smacks him down, if at all? And, do the article directories care? I ask because it would be easy for me to just chuck the same article all over the internet, but the advice we get here is that articles need to have original content by at least 50%. So, what do you think? Will he eventually fall back in the rankings?
tangoshoes
Trust:
I would be curious about this answer as well. It seems to me that this tactic would be acceptable because all you want is the back link you don't need the article to rank in the search engine on the article site. Obviously Google crawls duplicate content for back links but do they eventually get penalized?
Free AMA alternative:
http://www.freetrafficsystem.com/a.php?p=15706
Outsourcing for $200/mo 40hr/week:
http://store.replacemyself.com/?aid=3884

smp063
Trust:
This is one of the tactics they teach at Wealthy Affiliate. Write say 30 articles, submit to Ezine articles first then when they get published, copy & paste & submit to 10 or so other article directories spaced out over a few days. 300 back links in a very short time. I would also be interested to hear what Mark & co here think of this technique.
Steven :))
All you need to know when planning one of the most important times of your life http://www.squidoo.com/preparing-your-body-for-pregnancy

beldin
Trust:
This duplicate content question is a tricky one... I have pages and ezine articles that have the same article on them and both rank on page 1 of google. In fact, I have an articlebase article with the same article and it's also on page 1... that seems to fly in the face of duplicate content wisdom. I have also done the 50% or more different content/article rule and gotten similar results.

Note that ezine will check the link to see if there is enough content, but I have put the same article on ezine and my site at the same time and gotten my article published quickly (last was in 2 hours).

More directly to the point: To be on the safe side, have your sites content different than the articles content (same article but reworded kind of thing) to avoid any *potential* penalty, after all, you are trying to rank you site and use the articles for backlinks.
Stephen

frets
Trust:
If safeguarding your long term investment is important then why chance it. Remember the paid text links a year or two ago? Whether Google take much notice now or not doesn't mean they won't in the future, in fact they are very likely to clamp down on this more and more as time moves on.

They know every seo trick in fashion and so it's just a matter of time before they catch up or feel the need to come down hard on such activities. When they do, you shoot to the top if you are one of the good guys :-). Fwiw, spinning unless it's done very well is also very easy to detect so even this will have it's day sooner or later.

This doesn't mean it isn't worth taking advantage of at the moment but if your site ends up doing well then make sure you also add a good number of original content links as well. I have nothing much to back this up but the way I look at it is Google are not stupid and it's very easy to weed out all the common seo tricks, so the day it is of benefit to them to slap all those sites then it will happen and happen fast. My guess is mix in a few tricks with some hard effort and you should be ok.
wollowra
Trust:
Great post Frets,
People might think it is great to get some paid links and play some SEO games etc.. but always think of the future.
What Google isn't looking at now, doesn't mean they won't look at it in the near future.

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

carlmasure
Trust:
Outstanding advice. I really appreciate it.

This topic was started on Dec 18, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.