Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Domain Name Weight on SEO and Rankings

rain0v
Trust:

Domain Name Weight on SEO and Rankings

I am about to register a new domain. But before I do that, I want to ask this questions.
1. If I register my keyword as my domain name, Is there any impact on google ranking?
2. What is the advantage/s of using my keyword as my domain name?

Please enlightened me with this. As I heard those info from my friend.
I just want to hear more opinion from different people.
Thanks for reading my inquiry. ^^

(This is the first Domain I am about to register, I need to ask as much opinion as i can.) (Careful planning)
bloggingfornewbies
Trust:
Hi rain0v,

Yes it's ideal to have your main keyword theme as your domain name I think a lot of people would agree with that.. it will help a lot with SEO. the whole idea is to make your site relevant to what you want your readers to search for. It would be a lot harder to compete with other sites if your site name is diff from your main theme keywords ... hope this helps.. YES I would recommended...!!!!

benyost
Trust:
1) yes and Huge

2) everything

Blogging for newbies nailed it for you.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
Yes, having a keyword can have an affect on your rankings for that specific keyword... at least initially. If you follow Mark's teaching, then that benefit will stick or even increase.

That being said, it has also been proven that having a keyword in your domain name is not critical. Words can take on new meaning, or even be made up. Take google for example. 15 years ago, if you had searched for google, you might have come up with a definition of a number. Now, a search for google on just about any search engine will likely pull up the search engine. As another example, Affilorama (the site you are at now) is a made up word. No one would ever think to search for it unless they had already at least heard of it. But if you search for "affiliate marketing training", Affilorama is likely to be one of the top 10, if not the number 1, listing in the results.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
(As a note, I tested that search as I posted it... And Affilorama, the "made up" name, outranked the site with 1) all the keywords in title and 2) 2 of the 3 keywords in title)
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

robinjackman
Trust:
domain name play important role in seo so try to choose domain name related to your business.
nigeljones123
Trust:
I am registering a new domain name which is my main keyword. It is very important for me to use my main keyword as the domain name. The .com version is only available for $1,250 which I can not afford so this brings up 3 questions.

If I use the .US extension (for $3.69) will the SEO and rankings be negatively affected to any degree?

Would it be better to use a hyphenated .com instead? For example:- 12345-XYZ.com

I guess the real question is, after going to the trouble of finding the perfect keyword to create my domain name from, what affect does the extension have on SEO and also what affect would a hyphen have?

I would be very grateful for your advice.

This topic was started on Aug 21, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.