Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Do backlinks have to be clickable?

sreeve
Trust:

Do backlinks have to be clickable?

If you place a link on a reply of say a forum does it need to be clickable to count as a backlink to the search engines?
heavysm
Trust:
As a simple reply Id say yes, only because it has to physically point back to your site, meaning be clickable back to your site.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Yes, your backlink should be a clickable text that goes to your site. Otherwise, search engines won't be able to follow the connection between your web page and the page on the other site.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

myonlinetraininghub
Trust:
Hi sreeve,

I'm wondering if you are confusing a link and the 'no-follow' attribute of a link.

By definition a link is clickable, otherwise it's just text. So as everyone has said, back links to your site must be 'clickable' so that the search engines can follow it to your site.

A link can also be marked as 'no-follow' which means the site on which it appears doesn't want to attribute your link and hence your site with any 'link love'. Or put another way, no-follow links tell the search engine not to give that back link much importance. But this is a big topic in itself and you'd find more by searching the forums or Googling. Hope I haven't confused things :)
Phil
Free Microsoft Office Online Training
http://www.MyOnlineTrainingHub.com

private student loans
Trust:
I’ve recently started a blog, the information you provide on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.
dave333
Trust:
Without going right into it, the common misconception with no-follow links is that the search engines don't follow them. This is sort of untrue. If you place an inviting link on a no-follow page that gets a lot of clickthroughs the engines will notice and credit you for it.

Similarly, this will also make your site appear more "natural" to the bots.
https://www.affilorama.com/forum/post69742.html#p69742 - Affilorama Services: SEOJuice - FREE SEO TRIAL ON NOW!

gebruiker
Trust:
dave333 wrote:Without going right into it, the common misconception with no-follow links is that the search engines don't follow them. This is sort of untrue. If you place an inviting link on a no-follow page that gets a lot of clickthroughs the engines will notice and credit you for it.

Similarly, this will also make your site appear more "natural" to the bots.

I don't know if this is true. Search engines don't follow a "no-follow" link.
newstart
Trust:
It is my understanding that the "NO FOLLOW" idea was developed by Google. The other search engines have chosen not to accept Google's lead in this instance.

Margene
burkhardt5
Trust:
Since we are on the link value subject, I was wondering if a link on a page with no PR at all is still a recognized backlink or does the page have to be ranked by google for google to acknowledge the backlink?
Thanks
Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

newstart
Trust:
Using my sites as evidence I can answer your question with a resounding, YES. The links will be recognized by Google. However, 0 Ranked sites are crawled less often than higher ranked websites. So unless you ping the backlink, the link may take awhile before Google along with the other search engines will discover the link.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Any link pointing to your site is considered as a backlink. You should always link to the page that is relevant regardless of pagerank.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

warriorz
Trust:
Yes, Back links have to be clickable, because if you place a link on reply it has to be clickable,it is indirectly pointing to your site.
Warriorz Soft Technologies (P) Ltd : www.warriorzinfotech.com
Offshore Software Development Company | Web Development | Web Design Services | SEO Services

This topic was started on Nov 04, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.