Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

DMOZ - how can I get my site listed?

vishalk
Trust:

DMOZ - how can I get my site listed?

Hi,
I have submitted my site for dmoz listing. Its been two months since then and no update. I would like to know if there is a sure way of getting a site listed in dmoz ?

Cheers :)
Last edited by michellerana on 13 Dec 09 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: improve title to describe the post better

sevamaster
Trust:
There is no way. Become an editor (it is not posible)
superaff
Trust:
There is no sure way, and it can take way more than 2 months to get accepted in DMOZ.

I think if it takes too long, you can try to resubmit. You need to be patient. Just forget about it for now.

Franck
Did you see the amazing case studies on my blog http://mynetmarketingland.com/blog1/
Affiloblueprint Bonus: http://www.mynetmarketingland.com/mark-ling/affiloblueprint.html

zfilinger
Trust:
Vishalk,

I agree with Sevamaster. The easiest way is to become an editor.

2 months ago I submitted my website, but so far I haven`t received any reply. A week ago I was approved as an editor in a different category and after I saw how old submissions are in the new category I became an editor of, I now realize how it must look in different and more desirable categories. Submissions old more than a year aren`t exceptions. It`s more like a rule.

Eventhough DMOZ has more than 80k editors, it seems that most of them are busy (or lazy). Join DMOZ, that`s the best way :)
rudolf55
Trust:
Can you add, review and approve your own links then? Can't imagine they would allow you to do that.
salcha00
Trust:
I submitted my site 4 months ago and it is still not listed. :(
zfilinger
Trust:
Rudolf55 wrote:Can you add, review and approve your own links then? Can't imagine they would allow you to do that.

Yes, it's possible. DMOZ has 3 levels of keeping this in a relatively fair level.

1) part of your application to become an editor is to suggest 2-3 websites related to the category you are applying to, including a statement whether you are affiliated with any website
2) you are not the only one editor of the category you have been assigned to
3) above editors there is another level of editors (maybe admins?), whose role is to check editors' work, warn them and eventually kick them if they abuse DMOZ policy

If you are fair, if you admit you are affiliated with some sites and if you add those sites according to guidelines, it's fine.
zfilinger
Trust:
salcha00 wrote:I submitted my site 4 months ago and it is still not listed. :(

1) DMOZ doesn't guarantee you will be listed
2) depending on what category you have applied to it could take weeks, months or even years

As I wrote earlier, I've applied for a relatively small category and I've approved requests older than a year. Some websites were expired :)

This topic was started on Dec 13, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.