Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Differences between home page and secondary page backlinks

marios521
Trust:

Differences between home page and secondary page backlinks

Hi,

Can you tell me please what is the difference between home page and secondary pages backlinks?

Example 1:
I have a backlink in a home page w/w/w.example.com/index.html with PR4

Example 2:
I have a backlink in a page like w/w/w.example.com/articles/fashion/women/something.html with PR0

Differences?

Thank you
Last edited by michellerana on 15 Oct 09 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title changed to describe the post better

jpastorizo
Trust:
Marios521,

Building backlinks is as basic as get a live link from a different site rather than yours and link it to your site. A lot of people make the mistake of just building links on their homepage. In your case say a link to w/w/w.example.com/index.html. If you build backlinks to your secondary page (also called "Deep Linking") then you will have better results in your SEO campaign. The difference can be as much as having an SEO campaign and having an "effective" SEO campaign.

One of the things I learned from StomperNet was that when you are building links you have to do article interlinking and links as randomly as possible to make it as natural as possible to the eyes fo the Search Engines. If you just build backlinks to your homepage or say have about 80% of your backlinks pointing to your homepage and you have a 30-40 page authority site then it doesn't look natural does it? People will link to your site but not on your homepage. They will ink to one of your secondary pages/inner pages because maybe that particular page/article is the most relevant to their site/blog/article etc.

Also, when you build backlinks to your inner pages you will start to rank for and receive traffic on a lot of related keywords people are typing into the search engines even if you did not optimize for them. This has something to do with LSI. The search engines look at your whole site, all the content and backlinks and determines what it's all about. And for this reason you will get traffic for those terms/keywords that are related but did not optimize for. And since most marketers have their main keyword for their homepage, doing deep linking (and optimizing for your 2nd tier keywords) will help you optimize your site (particularly the home apge) for your main high traffic keyword.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

marios521
Trust:
Thank you Renato for your time.
You are 100% right.
I am linking to all my secondary pages and not the home page and I have the results you mentioned.

I asked if I get a link to my site from another one.
Say, for example affilorama.
If I post an article in this page with a backlink to my site.
This page has not page rank or it is 0.
The affilorama home page has PR5.
Again... If I post it to the current page, what is the difference with a link from the home page? (to the search engines)

Thanks again.
Last edited by michellerana on 15 Oct 09 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpastorizo
Trust:
I think you will just get a backlink but it is not given a high score by google since the page is PR0.

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

This topic was started on Oct 14, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.