Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Confused about Page title, h1, site name

snikadin
Trust:

Confused about Page title, h1, site name

Hi everyone!

I feel like this is a really stupid question because I've been running my affiliate site for ½ year and only now thought about it.
I've used Artisteer themes with WP up until now that I switched to AffiloTheme 3. What I noticed was that I have my title displayed twice in large black letters. So if my keyword for that post was:

"Stop dog digging", I'd have a catchy title like:
"Stop dog digging - the 3 best tips"

Now here's my problem. In my artisteer theme, I barely noticed, but with the Affilotheme3 It's ridicilous because now, at the top of my page, I see:

HERE GOES MY POST bla bla bla bla bal
bla bla bla
bla bla bla

The reason, I think, for this is that I'm writing "Stop dog digging - the 3 best tips" as my post title(not even sure it's called that, but I write it in the big field at the top on the page where you write your new post/edit a pos) and then I'm also writing it as a heading at the start of my post. I've done this so that my keyword is in the <title> tag as well as <h1> tag.

But this looks plain stupid now. How do you guys tackle the problem? If I remove "Stop dog digging - the 3 best tips" as my Heading 1 from the top of the post, I'll lose the keyword in h1 tag right?

Thank you!
/snik
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Umm in Wordpress, the post title is by default in <h1> tags. you dont need to do that, if you really want to you could do a subhaeding like

post title: Stop dog digging - the 3 best tips"

subtitle: Check out these 3 super tips to stop you dog from digging today!
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

snikadin
Trust:
Hi jmpruitt,

Thanks for answering this question.
So if I remove the heading i have (that's the same as my page title), I won't suffer any SEO penalties?

Is there any way to make sure that the title is actually in h1 tags? I'm using AffiloTheme 3.

Thank you!
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Well, unless you mucked around in the theme css, it is by default set to H1 tags, all blogs are.

there will not be seo penalties, and as I always say, make it look good for your readers, and it will be well optimized for search. some of the things that "SEO experts" teach are about 90% lies anyway. they are guessing and strutting around acting like they know what they are talking about.

I have seen #1 sites without any H1 tags on the page....on page factors will help your rankings, but you can still get rankings without them. I would rather sacrifice one small point that google barely notices to make my site look good for my readers.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

robinjackman
Trust:
Target your main keyword with title, h1 tag and also website url.
roslonsy
Trust:
Hi, I have a new website created by mywebsitedesigns and I have no idea how to insert title tags and meta tags for SEO. Could somebody take me through step by step PLEASE.

Do I start in wp-admin and post tags - I did try this but the www did not delete on the search page of google.

Ros

This topic was started on Aug 19, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.