Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Competing against yourself for search engine placement

liveinasiablog
Trust:

Competing against yourself for search engine placement

When I first made my site, I targeted the keyword phrase "wind generator plans."

Now I just added a new page that reviews wind generator plans, and I inadvertently targeted the same keyword phrase.

The urls are different. One is...

www.makeenergynow.com/diy-wind-generator-plans

the other is...

www.makeenergynow.com/review-wind-generator-plans

They both target the keyword phrase "wind generator plans." So, is it impossible to rank two pages from the same root URL, in this case, www.makeenergynow.com, for one keyword phrase.

I don't think I've ever seen the same root URL appear twice in the top 10 search rankings.
faradina
Trust:
I typed the search term

social network

into google search and came up with three different web pages from en.wikipedia.com on the first page of results.
PremiumMember
gradyp
Trust:
I think if you look at the listings, a lot of times Google will put two or three pages on a particular site with another link to see more options from that site if the site has multiple pages that might fit for a particular search term. I believe that this has been the case for some time.

(Try running a few searches yourself if you don't believe me.)

Haven't checked lately to see if any others do a similar strategy or not, but something to be aware of.

Grady
Have questions about creating images? Want an image created for you? Check out my site at www.GradyPruitt.com/welcome-affilorama-friends

mortalengine
Trust:
What could be better than having your site in the first 5 places on googles first page

Many marketeters find a niche then build a network of sites around that niche just to achieve this exact scenario
kajm
Trust:
Hi
If your second page is just new maybe you might want to look at changing the keyword slightly "wind turbine plans" or something. If the keywords targeted are exactly the same then you are competing against yourself and you will have to do double the effort in link building for the same keyword. Changing the keyword extends your possible audience. (Just my opinion)

I have occupied the top two positions in google with two different pages from the same site. Each page targeted a slightly different key word but the key word phrase typed in google was a mix of the two key word phrases (neither exact) that I was targeting on the different pages.

If you type in affilorama into google you will see the site links that come up under the first result for affilorama. If you own the site you do have limited options of changing these "SiteLinks" through google webmaster tools.

Kevin

This topic was started on Feb 17, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.