Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Can I Create Backlinks Using Emoticons?

PremiumMember
abmelis
Trust:

Can I Create Backlinks Using Emoticons?

Hi,

I discovered a web page of a supposed SEO guru that was talking about a backlink method . This method was to get into a forum and use emoticon like :-) or whatever and place a backlink on it. This method was used to avoid the moderator to block the backlink. I used it to test and after I found on wikipedia some of the system Google was using to penalize a web-page. This article was saying that any link with strange character like "#!() or whatever were penalized.

So I wonder if the ban of the my web-site experienced in google was due to that.

It is quite funny that this person sell a book on Amazon about SEO.
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi abmelis,

It's possible that those emoticon backlinks contributed to your site getting penalized by Google. In general, any negative or spammy-looking links affect a site's rank, or worse, get penalized by Google.

I suggest you check the backlinks to your site and make sure there are no negative links pointing to your site. When building links through forums or blogs, keep in mind to follow the rules for posting. Do not just build links, promote your site by providing helpful content.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

affiliate6
Trust:
Definitely, backlink is the most frustrating part of on line business. We never know what is a good neighbour hood or not. WHen is too much or not enough.
But that It is what I found the most exiting in Internet business.
It always keep me bussy thinking.
http://elifejump.com is my main home page. My business is about giving good information on how to make money online.

katewillson.directlyme
Trust:
No, you don't need to create such backlinks, it will penalize your website/blog.
tankctrlr
Trust:
Yeah search engines don't like deceptive links, links that are hidden from people but seeing by search-engine-spiders.

Kind of like those pixel links a long time ago, or links that are colored white with a white background so as to be hidden.
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

PremiumMember
abmelis
Trust:
Thanks a lot for the suggestion, it was a good lesson to learn.
giov19877
Trust:
I have never heard something like that about amoticons. Anyway thanks for post, so if in the future someone advice me to create backlinks thought emoticons i avoid :)

This topic was started on Sep 17, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.