Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Awstats and other site statistics

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:

Awstats and other site statistics

My site is still quite new and is getting about 50 - 60 unique visitors per day, SEO only. I have just completed Week 8 of AB2, so recognize that I have plenty of tweeking yet to do, to get my site working well (only 1 sale so far).

I check my Awstats each day, and have noticed that the number of visitors in the "0 - 30 seconds" category starts at about 60% in the early part of the month and rises to over 70% later on. Clearly, these are visitors who take one look at my pages and decide to click away, so I need to get this percentage down by making the pages more interesting, relevant, etc.

But does anybody have a suggestion of what is an "acceptable" percentage of "click-aways", so that I don't spend too much time and effort on diminishing returns?

Is there an Astats for Dummies?

Kieran
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

PremiumMember
francesc
Trust:
Hi Kieran,

Aw-stats it's an awful (ah, wordgame :D) to track visitors, Why? Because it counts every petition to the server as a visitor.

So for example: Your site uses a style.css to give colors and form to the page, so every time you load your page, it also load the style file, you don't see it because it's just code. Awstats in this case count the load of the style file as a visitor.

Also happens with images, if you have an article with 3 images, awstats will count every load of the images as an impression.

That's why awstats is pretty inaccurate to track unique visitors, I suggest you to use Google Analytics or Statcunter (if you need real time statistics)

Cheers.
19 years old chilean blogger, a very creative kid, sometimes too creative
Look mum! I'm a moderator!

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
Interesting stuff. I've wondered why it has been a bit difficult to see the wood for the trees with Awstats.

Thanks Frances for this.

Kieran
Kieran

jasondodd
Trust:
there are a lot of different stat programs out there but best to stick to one (otherwise its like having more than one watch - youre never quite sure what the right time is!)

most have found that google analytics works well for what they need and is pretty reliable and accurate (although no analytics can be 100% due to issues with cookies etc).

review week 9 video 1 on installing and using google analytics
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: https://www.affilorama.com/premium

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
Thanks Jason, I'm about to start week 9.
Kieran

This topic was started on Jul 08, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.