Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Andrew Hanson webinar

jaredp1986
Trust:

Andrew Hanson webinar

Did anyone get a chance to see the webinar with Mark Ling and Andrew Hansen last night? There was some interesting information especially when it came to backlinking. He essentially says not to go putting backlinks all over the place and to make sure they are high quality links. He recommends only 5-15 backlinks.

I was hoping someone could provider their thoughts on this portion of what he said. He said that the days of focusing on 1 keyword are long gone now that the hummingbird update was released. He instead says you should use 30-50 per site and teaches you how to search for them using the google search bar. My question is, if you are using say 7-15 highly focused keywords per content page (like he discussed as an example), do you need to mention each of these keywords multiple times per page or is just the mere mentioning of it once time enough to accomplish this task.
tankctrlr
Trust:
Hi, I didn't see this webinar but from what you said it looks like it's right on track with how quality SEO was/is supposed to be all about from the beginning, remember the search engines want nothing but quality and relevancy so if you have a page that has quality and whatever you talk about answers the searchers query/question/problem then yeah that page is going to do well.

A long time ago there was this philosophy that the bigger you made your content (3000+ words ) the more keywords you would rank for, even keywords you would have never thought to get, and that the more content you put out the more keywords you got resulting in tons of rankings from 1,000s of keywords.

So maybe this is similar but more focused.

Really though if you can help the searcher get what they want then that should get you in good favor with the SERPs.

And those kinds of pages do better anyway from a ROI standpoint because of all the backlinks they attract and social media sharing.
Writing Services - www.needanarticle.com

kurt
Trust:
Matt Carter recently had a webinar as well where he talked about this. I took some notes, let me share:

Google's hummingbird update ranks content more and more by it's relevance to "topic", not "keyword".

When someone searches "dog trainning", google now asks itself, "What are they really looking for? What are they asking?" A person might be wanting to know if they're is a dog trainning place near where they live. Or if it's worth it to train their dog. Or how much it cost to train their dog. There is a number of things the person might be asking - we rarely ever put our full questions into the search box.

So if we can write our articles with this in mind, and ask ourselves like Google does, what the person might be wanting to know, than we can cover more of those topics in our articles. Then we can rank for many keywords with the same piece of content. So make your articles content "topic" relevant instead of "keyword" relevant, and then you'll be able to possibly rank for 30 - 50 keywords with one article.

Putting your keywords in the google search box was the way he showed how to find additional topic related keywords that we might be able to use in our article. When you put your keywords in google without clicking "search" or "enter", google shows a drop down list of other keywords with those words in it that people are searching also. Hit your space bar and add a letter and you will see even more. You can go through the alphabet adding one letter at a time and google will show you more and more. Look for ones you might be able to use in your article.

You can do this much faster with the ubbersuggest tool. Put as many of the topical keywords into your article as you can without it sounding weird because of course you want your articles to read well.

I believe you only have to use each keyword once - at least that's my understanding. I can't imagine trying to repeat several keywords over and over.

This topic was started on Jan 30, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.