Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Adopting a SILO hierarchy on an established site

info209
Trust:

Adopting a SILO hierarchy on an established site

Reading around, I think I should have organised my WP site better. My rankings fell 10 places ( main keyword) on 23rd August , traffic is now only half what it was. Can anyone advise please on On Page Optimisation.....
If I was to change the permalink structure from its current
xyz.com/postID/postname
to xyz.com/category/postname
1) What would happen to pages already indexed, how do you make sure users get to the right page and don't see a 404 'not found'
2) Are there any other implications of such a major change on my blog?
info209
Trust:
Doing a lot of reading around SEO, I've answered my own question....

I found this post by Stephen Cronin on the subject, I'm sure other WP users wanting to organise SILO sites will find it very informative:

http://scratch99.com/wordpress/wp-seo/siloing/

It covers using re-looking at your posts and choosing suitable categories, Category pages, getting rid of the WP "category" in the URL of category pages, 301 redirects for pages already indexed , rules about linking between Silos and a lot more. A really informative article.
Andrew
bernard_r
Trust:
I wouldn't change anything, except the link building strategy. Get high PR links or make them. SEO is not "relatively easy", it's difficult.
bernard_r
Trust:
Just maike sure the title and the meta keywords contain the keyword and do better quality link building. (learn from other sources)
info209
Trust:
I have noticed that the Google search top 10 for my keyword contains only big companies now Amazon, Argos, Ebay, two newspaper articles Daily Mail and Independent , the first affiliate site is at #11. Before 23rd Aug it was mainly Affiliate sites, like mine.

I've done a little more digging and for several other keywords in different niches, these findings are the same, where you would expect affiliate sites, there are none in the top 10.

This would suggest that exact match and partial match domain names are being hit in the rankings as well as the sites with bad organisation, thin content and too many affil links.

Maybe its time to concentrate on bigger sites, authority sites, I have a Satellite tv site which covers a wide range of subject , has not been affected at all any of the Panda Penguin or Humming bird changes, it is reasonably well organised and has never really had any link building SEO, it never needed it to rank well.

Meta keywords? Not sure Google has taken much notice of these for quite some time.

This topic was started on Oct 03, 2013 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.