Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Above the fold ad's might be scaring off my customers.

burkhardt5
Trust:

Above the fold ad's might be scaring off my customers.

Hello everyone.

I originally posted this as a reply in another catagory but I did not get an answer so I am starting a new thread.

I have a site that recently had an rise in bounce rate (from around 51% up to 66%). I havent done anything that should have made this happen.

I think that in some niches, having an add above the fold may scar off visitors. The site in question is in the world of warcraft niche http://superiorwowguide.com so most of my visitors are very knowledgeable about the game allready and might bounce off just because they see that I am promoting something for sale.

I think that I am going to drop the top of fold adds for a few weeks and see what happens but I wanted to get some feedback first.

Update: Just wanted to add that I am averaging about 60 visitors per day from keywords such as world of warcraft strategy guide and wow strategy guide (#1 in google) plus others and have had as many as 97 visits in one day 4/1/12. My concern is that it has been 14 days since my last sale which is about 840 visits.

That is far more visits per sale than I think it should be.

Any thoughts?
Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

newstart
Trust:
The nice thing about this business is the ability to TEST ideas out. You should always be amicable to TESTING in order to refine your website to create the greatest number of sales possible.

Though the number of visitors at 840 is high it may not be indicative of a problem. There are a multiple of conditions that can cause people not to BUY. Over the long haul averages will work out. It is possible that your next two visitors may be BUYERS. This would drastically lower your stats as to the number of visitors required to find that elusive buyer.

That being stated, TESTING is always the best solution to fully optimize a website so that it can be the most productive. Remembering to always provide quality to your VISTORS / READERS.
esolutions
Trust:
Hi,

On the homepage at least, you could do some text formatting to improve the look of the headlines and subheads, switch it up a bit and use color so that it's not all black. If you are able to communicate why they should stay within the first few seconds, then you'll be able to hold them longer and get them to read down the page.

Maybe give them a list of a few links to choose from to dig deeper into different topics.

Also, the text spacing is really tight. Try breaking it up a bit. There are a lot of videos on that page and they are one on top of the other. Again, try cleaning up the page design a bit, let it breath and flow.

Other than that, you will see more sales long term if you focus more on building your list. I would maybe keep that first ad at the top though. What is your CTR on that ad?
List not growing fast enough?
Get More Opt Ins:
http://mattgreener.com/view/arfree

Site Admin
jonathan_l
Trust:
Hello Paul,

It certainly looks like you're on the right track. However, you're right in that 840 visitors is a lot to have without a sale (and, probably, opt-ins). This could happen for a couple of reasons: your site is repelling visitors, or you have targeted keywords with low buyer intent. The latter can be fixed "easily" - the latter is just frustrating, and means you need to take another look at your keywords.

In any case, I took a quick look at your homepage.

I don't think there's anything wrong with the ad you have, nor its placement - I suspect it's the formatting and content of the homepage, driving people away.

Your text is very full on. Easy-to-read is good, but this introduction may be a little too much for new visitors. If you take a look at http://www.wowblackbook.com/, the template AffiloBlueprint site, you'll notice the text stays consistent.

The next thing is that you have a lot of content on the homepage, making it very "tall", but there's nothing there breaking it up. Add in a heading for each section of content on the homepage - readers use Headings to give them clues about each section of the content and whether it's relevant to them, and if they don't see headers, or can't see a relevant header, they'll ignore the content.

I also recommend adding a line of space between each Youtube video, and possibly centre-aligning them.

I'd also recommend duplicating your opt-in box and moving it well up the page - it's a very long way to scroll to get to an opt-in box (I only scrolled all the way to the bottom, because that's where I expected to see the opt-in)

Matthew (esolutions) is right in saying your text-size is really tight. Part of this will be using a bigger than normal font size. If you know CSS you can change the line-height attribute of your text, otherwise you might need to make your text a bit smaller.

My final comment is that you should possibly put a bit of work into your header. Your header is like the banner over your shop front - it's the first thing people see, and it needs to tell people who your site is, what it's about, and why they should stick around in the first glance. The images are good, but don't just have the "superiorwowguide.com" as the text (especially not as orange text on a red background). Make the title something like "Superior WoW Guide" with a subtitle like "Bring your World of Warcraft gameplay to a whole new level". It tells the visitor who you are, and why they should be there.
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Paul,

You have a point there in that having one too many banners/ads above the fold can turn off visitors. And it's true. But in your website's case, I agree with Jonathan and the other members. It's the overall design and layout that might not be working. I visited your site and it no longer has a header so I'm thinking you're probably in the process of changing it. Your text is too big, and your videos are all to one side. You might want to put the videos on center. This will give balance to the pages.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

burkhardt5
Trust:
Hello and thank you everyone.

Well I changed my header and my bold text on my home page and within 2 hours I made a sale.
I am sure that was just a coincidence but it was kinda cool.

esolutions, I can't give you a accurate CTR on that add as I have it going to a revew page as a pre-sell and not directly to the sales page and I feel that it helps. What I can tell you is that I get 60+ visits per day and average 3-4 hops per day to that vender, most of my visitors go to my home page first and then they seem to go to any one of my pages not favoring any one page.

I have centered the videos on the home page but now they are not in the center of the computer screen which is why I had them where they were, but I will give this a try.

You have said that my text is too big. Right now it is at 14 PX , how small should I make it? At 12PX it looks ok or should I go even smaller?

I am going to add another opt-in at the top off my sidebar and go through my content again.

As usual you have given me great responses.

Thank you all!
Never Give Up!!!
Paul
Paul J. Burkhardt

cecille.l
Trust:
Glad to hear you made a sale. Congratulations!

You have said that my text is too big. Right now it is at 14 PX , how small should I make it? At 12PX it looks ok or should I go even smaller?

12px is actually the norm, or the default. The fonts shouldn't be too big or too small, so I think it's safe to go with 12px.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

easyrider
Trust:
To me, the text is too small at 12pt. I think it looks best at 14pt.

Your bullet point links on the home page look ungainly. They seem too big compared to the normal text and there is not enough vertical space between them.

Your header is lacking a main heading. What you have looks like a subheading.

I think there is too much empty space to the side of your ordinary text - I would suggest widening your margins.

The background colour of the sidebar is white for your homepage and then turns to an orange colour when you click on one of the sidebar links. This looks strange and unprofessional.

Your signup boxes also look unprofessional. And the call to action if not very compelling ("Be sure to signup for our FREE World of Warcraft 6 part mini course and more!"). It should be something more like "Grab your free WOW 6-part mini-course below". Then list the benefits they will receive and possibly include an image. The button should say something like, "Send me my mini-course!" (you will need to choose another form template to do this). No one wants to sign up for anything - it entails unknown commitment on their part (which they are reluctant to make).
Greg

mark schaaf
Trust:
For myself the line spacing and how the each line ends bothers me the most. I like sites that have all the lines begin and end the same like a nice even box. Most web editors would let you do this. Also I see a few places where one line is spaced different the the others in the paragraph and also see a few lines where the first word in the line is indented just a little more then the other lines. example I think this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx looks much better then

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx then this when reading.

I know it is often difficult to hear unkind things about your site when you worked so hard to make it what it is but everyone on this site is trying to help everyone else get where you want to be. I for one am a very lousy when it comes to people saying things about my site but I try and think of how to get and keep more people on my site and I really think my site looks and reads great but if I got 100 people who told me they would rather see my site completely different from what I like then even if I hated how my site looked if it got more customers and sales then what I liked I would change it I mean the idea is to make money and if my design isn't making money then I need to change it. Mark
Mark

This topic was started on Apr 02, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.