Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

A Great Post for On/OFF Page SEO

conners88
Trust:

A Great Post for On/OFF Page SEO

I was trawling through forums online to find how various people do their SEO.

I found this fantastic post by Retsek on Warrior Forum, and I thought it would really benefit some of us here.

[this is more of a guide/suggestions for newbies]

So i joined a niche that gets 125,000 exact searches for the main keyword and several thousand for additional keywords.

When I started the current #1 was Wikipedia and #2 was a competitor who started 1 year before. I looked at his backlinks and I concluded that he did at least 3 full SENUKE runs and he bought into one of those High PR link networks (1 PR6, 3 PR5, 6PR4, etc).

So here's how I was able to take the #2, #3 and #4 positions for the main keyword without paying monthly fees for high PR links:

- I created and bought lots of quality content. Over 200 posts. It's important to not post it all at once. Use the Wordpress Schedule feature.

- I removed the wordpress loop from the homepage and built the home page using a Page Template with sections under the topic. Learn wordpress code and CSS and display your home page in a way that is helpful to the user. Having a long list posts on a topic with the full content on the homepage is not helpful to the user, and there's duplicate content issues with the SEs.

- In addition to the Main keyword, I identified 20 other keywords that had a fair number searches and were closely related. I categorized those 20 keywords into 5 Wordpress Categories. (No Post Tags are used).

- For content:

The homepage had about 1000 words discussing the topic, introducing the 5 sections, linking to important posts etc.

For each of 20 additional keywords, there was a 500-750 word post that I wanted to rank for the keyword. Each of these posts link to the Homepage with our main keyword as the anchor text. These 20 posts were also made stickies, so they appear at the top of their category listings.

For the other ~180 posts, these were 300-500 words and they went deeper into topics discussed in the 20 post set. Each of them link to one or more of the 20 posts using anchor from the additional keywords. Some of the 180 also link to the homepage for the main keyword.

Each of the ~200 posts has an image with alt text containing the target keyword, not necessarily exact match for the keyword. I use 123rf.com for many of the images, obviously not free. But we'll make our money back right? right.

- For other on Page.

* Use Breadcrumbs!!!
* Set your Permalinks to /%category%/%postname%/
* Use a XML Sitemap, no need to link to it on your page. The good ones will notify Google.
* Use a Related Posts Plugin (YARPP is good)
* Target Keyword appears in Title and Description of each post and Home Page. Meta Tags are optional. Remember to setup appropriate titles and descriptions for your categories as well.
* REMOVE the word "category" from your wordpress base URL. (yoast wordpress seo plugin)
* Each of my 5 categories have about 100-150 words describing the category before listing the posts.
* Ensure your theme, uses H1 for the Post Title. Only 1 H1 per page. Use H1 once on the homepage, and make sure your Site Title or Logo is not using it.
* Use multiple H2, H3 in each post where appropriate but don't overdo it.
* Don't pay so much attention to (or obsess over) keyword density. Just write or produce content that is easy to read, has headings separating sections, uses bullet point lists to get the point across, and has proper grammar and spelling.
* Use Wordpress SEO by Yoast. Great plugin, free!, and will take care your breadcrums, xml sitemap, pages titles and descriptions.

There's other seo plugins that will assist you with these on page factors, I'd recommend Clickbump SEO, but you can google for free options.

DO NOT touch SEOpressor - it completely kills performance on high traffic sites even with caching. OR if you have several hundred sites on one shared hosting, it will make it impossible. Also I think it's pretty sleazy to try to score a free backlink from someone who paid you $100.

- For Offpage:

Remember the competitor has high PR links. There was no way I was going to be paying monthly for those kinds of links. So I started off slow.

1. First I did a press release as a way to introduce the site. I outsourced this in the Warriors for Hire section, and got some nice authority links from about.com and other news sites.
2. A week later, I outsourced submissions to the top 10 article directories targeting the home page, the 20 posts, and the 5 categories (remember to make your categories index-able in whatever SEO plugin you use, and use the_excerpt instead of the_content in the template). For all link building to follow, its important to vary your anchor text.
3. Repeat #2 three times with 30 days in between.
4. Fourth Week, I outsourced a Link Wheel that was built over 21 days that included high PR Web2 sites and also .EDU / .GOV blogs linking to the Homepage of the site and randomly to each other. The second layer, larger of lower PR Web2 sites, linked to the top layer. In addition, all the pages in the wheel also randomly linked to authority sites like wikipedia, about.com ...youtube videos, forums, etc. The posts of these properties were spread out over a couple of days.
5. Fourth Week, I added the site to BuildMyRank.com. I've outsourced about 300 posts. And queued them up to publish at about 5-7 per day. 50% of links went to the homepage, 25% to the 5 categories, 25% to the 20 posts.
6. Sixth Week, I also blasted the ~180 posts with about 20,000 forum profiles, blog comments and social bookmarks. It's important here to vary the anchor text as much as possible and then some. also use text like click here, visit this site, etc. In fact, I also do blog comments & profiles to the Homepage, Categories, and the 20 posts just to variate the anchor text of backlinks pointing to the pages.
7. Tenth Week. I blast the backlinks created at #2,#3,#4, & #5 with another 20,000 forum profiles, blog comments and social bookmarks.
8. 12th Week. Profit. Homepage is ranked #2 for the main keyword. A category page and a single post are also behind it in the #3 & #4 positions. I'll continue building to take down Wikipedia and no doubt keep the competitor at bay since I'm sure he's not happy to now be ranked #6.

So that's it, I'm sure I missed something but I think the most important advice you can get is not over optimize and do not build links with 1 or 2 anchor text alone. For the main keyword, I only used it 50% of the time on the homepage. The rest were variations of the 20 other keywords, naked backlinks (backlinks without anchor text), click here, read more, visit this site, etc.

I could have stretched this out to a couple of pages and have my PDF in the WSO section, but here it is. Free for you to take action, incorporate into your own existing methods and use for free.

Edit: Also I hope this post doesn't come across as saying High PR Links are not needed. In fact, it will probably be required if I want to overtake Wikipedia. This post just points out ways to setup your on page structure and vary your backlink profile with powerful sources, rather than wasting time using weak Senuke campaigns and blog comments.

I am personally only really interested in the OFF page SEO, and will certainly be trying some of his techniques.
Follow My 20 Micro Niche Sites per month challenge http://www.connersroad2success.com/

jethro.aragon
Trust:
Gathering as much information really helps. Let's be all like a sponge, let's absorb all the useful knowledge that we can so that we can increase our chances of becoming a successful Affiliate Marketer. Let's be open to ideas and explore. Thank you conners88 for the post, i hope the person who originally posted that won't mind.
Anyway, I found some very helpful information and I hope that others will also learn from this post.

This is what Mark Ling is basically doing, sharing his expert knowledge to us so that we can be successful too. Let's all share our experiences and knowledge to other members too.

Cheers!
-Jethro-

"Knowledge is of no value unless you put it into practice.”

mansoor.0678
Trust:
is exchanging links with irrelevant websites harms our website?
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Link exchanges are pretty worthless unless they are sending you direct traffic, so getting link exchanges from irrelevant sites is a useless waste of time.

Google knows all about link exchanges, and they will value the reciprocal links less. they won't necessarily harm your site, but they will simply be ignored, so they won't help you any unless they give you direct results.

For example, I exchange links with other blogs within my niche all the time, but doing so, we are sending direct traffic to each other's sites. that direct traffic is worth the link, even if google doesn't count it.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

andy.twit961
Trust:
Hi,

Thanks Conner..Thanks for sharing his amazing post. On page SEO is important factor in promoting the business. There are so many factors of ON page SEO. For getting rank as fast as possible, it is very necessary that the structure of URL is in proper way. We also take care of header tags, Description tags, image tags, title tags are some of the important factors of on page SEO.

Link removed by moderator

This topic was started on Aug 21, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.