Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

#1 on Google and no traffic

cball35875
Trust:

#1 on Google and no traffic

This is my first real affiliate site. I am confused. Through Good planning and SEO I managed to get my site to rank #1 on google for a keyword that per google keyword tool gets 12,500 local searches per month and over 27,000 global searches per month - yet I am only getting about 15 visits per day to my site! It has been # 1 now for a week and still no traffic - Is it possible that the keyword really gets much less than 12,500 searches per month? Based on the #1 site getting about 40% of the traffic clicks I should be getting at least 160 visits per day. Any ideas? Thanks, Chris.
faradina
Trust:
Being number 1 on search does not necessarily mean that people will click on it automatically. I would personally first look into the meta description of my web page to make it compelling enough so that people will be encouraged to click through to my site.
kakaboo
Trust:
Check that your rankings aren't because of personalized search.. clear your cookies and use different tools to check it too.....
joshuas
Trust:
Is the search based on broad or exact matches? Sometimes there can be quite a large difference between the two. Also, that no is averaged over a year if I'm not mistaken. So depending on the keyword you've targeted, there might be dips in traffic. Another thing you want to look out for is if the search is going on a downward trend. This can also affect the amount of daily searches but will not be immediately reflected in the monthly search volume.

Joshua
bmusic
Trust:
As kakaboo said,

you may clear all cookies. If you have an gmail account sign off, before using Google search to check your website/keyword ranking. use a different browser or just completely use a different IP location, PC to verify your Google Keyword Tool results.
DonĀ“t forget traffic travis also helps you identify perfomance of KW and sites.

This topic was started on Mar 22, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.