Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Which is the best TLD to use and other questions

chants
Trust:

Which is the best TLD to use and other questions

Hi

I am an absolute newbie to affiliate marketing although I have been involved in domaining for a short while. My queries are as follows :

1. If the .com , .net and .org tlds arent available to register and you feel the keyword is good , are the.info and .biz also ok to register for development. What about .tel ?

2. Is it possible when creating an affiliate product to create one website and url forward different domains to the same site ? Is this a good strategy to drive traffic? If so does one have to have web hosting for each of the urls ?

3. What is a good search average when choosing a keyword. From what I have gathered, around 12 000 up for a .net and .org is ok - but is it also ok to start from 500 to 1000 searches a month in a good niche with all tlds mentioned ?

$. At this point I dont even have money to afford Dreamweaver and am interested in getting in on a fast track. Would you recommend using websites that offer turnkey website creation .What do you think about the services of togodotcom in this respect ?How efffective are these turnkey website creation services.

Thanks a lot
jpastorizo
Trust:
Chants,

Welcome to Affilorama!
My answers are inserted in blue.

Regards,
Renato

Chants wrote:Hi

I am an absolute newbie to affiliate marketing although I have been involved in domaining for a short while. My queries are as follows :

1. If the .com , .net and .org tlds arent available to register and you feel the keyword is good , are the.info and .biz also ok to register for development. What about .tel ? - I usually go for a .com. If the good domains are taken Id try to see the ones with hyphens. I prefer this over selecting the other TLD, especially if the domain is only 3 words long. Sometimes, I use .net or .info when I want to ride the popularity of a product name. If you do this, make sure it is okay to the merchant.

2. Is it possible when creating an affiliate product to create one website and url forward different domains to the same site ? - YES Is this a good strategy to drive traffic? - Yes and No. Yes, if the urls you're using are something that searchers might directly type into a browser or a search query through a search engine. No, because quite a lot of people (if not all) hate to be misled. If so does one have to have web hosting for each of the urls ? - No. You can just register the domain names and just do a domain forwarding and if you so choose you can also do domain masking.

3. What is a good search average when choosing a keyword. From what I have gathered, around 12 000 up for a .net and .org is ok - but is it also ok to start from 500 to 1000 searches a month in a good niche with all tlds mentioned ? - The keyword should have at least 1,500 searches per month.

$. At this point I dont even have money to afford Dreamweaver (that is an expensive software!) and am interested in getting in on a fast track. - I suggest you use Wordpress. It's free. Would you recommend using websites that offer turnkey website creation. - NO. What do you think about the services of togodotcom in this respect ?How efffective are these turnkey website creation services. - I have no idea.

Thanks a lot
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

chants
Trust:
Hi

Thanks for some very useful answers. If you dont mind , I'd like some further clarity.

1. Re using .net , .org and .biz. The reason I am enquiring about these tlds as possibilities to register is because in Marks Webinar with Brian Johnson , Brian mentioned he used pinkchristmastree.net to market pink christmas trees and that he had done so effectively. If I remember this keyword had a search volume of over 12000 per month. For me , the attraction of these tlds is that you can still find keywords available to register with high search volumes. I have registered a .org domain in a niche I am interested in with 550 000 searches per month. if you stick with .coms you are lucky to get a search of over 4000 per month and most of the good .com keywords with potential for marketing are taken - whereas there are some really good .net and .org still available. Re: .biz -- I'd like to quote from Dr Zane Lawhorn CEO of 1DNI.com : " The current market is .com crazy. They are by far the most popular. But longterm the short easy to remember names are going to be just as popular. Once the dotcommers of this generation age a little, the dotbizzers will be just as easy to remember and probably more accessible to register".The query I have in this regard is what particular advantage do .com domains have over .biz etc in terms of SERP ranking ( do I understand correctly that SERP is the position in the search engine resullts ? ).
2.Re URL forwarding.I was thinking of using this feature in a way that is not misleading. For example I want to have a very generic keyword with a very high search average as the main site and I intend to URL forward more specific niche product searches to the main generic site which has these specific product links. Do you think this is a good strategy ? Also could you explain what domain masking is and what the advantages are.
3.You mentioned that the search average should not be less than 1 500 - but what about a new technology niche which currently say has only 500 searches and has a future potential of being very profitable ?
4. Sorry about all the whys but I need to understand things clearly - re turnkey solutions for creating websites - why are these not good ? Also , with Wordpress , can I put up a website as normal ? My big stumbling block to getting started on this is that I have no idea about how to put up a website , and as I said , no money to invest in the tools. However , I have quite a few domains I'd like to develop.

Thanks a lot . I appreciate your time
jpastorizo
Trust:
Chants,

My answers are inserted in blue.

Regards,
Renato

Chants wrote:Hi

Thanks for some very useful answers. If you dont mind , I'd like some further clarity.

1. Re using .net , .org and .biz. The reason I am enquiring about these tlds as possibilities to register is because in Marks Webinar with Brian Johnson , Brian mentioned he used pinkchristmastree.net to market pink christmas trees and that he had done so effectively. If I remember this keyword had a search volume of over 12000 per month. For me , the attraction of these tlds is that you can still find keywords available to register with high search volumes. I have registered a .org domain in a niche I am interested in with 550 000 searches per month. if you stick with .coms you are lucky to get a search of over 4000 per month and most of the good .com keywords with potential for marketing are taken - whereas there are some really good .net and .org still available. Re: .biz -- I'd like to quote from Dr Zane Lawhorn CEO of 1DNI.com : " The current market is .com crazy. They are by far the most popular. But longterm the short easy to remember names are going to be just as popular. Once the dotcommers of this generation age a little, the dotbizzers will be just as easy to remember and probably more accessible to register".The query I have in this regard is what particular advantage do .com domains have over .biz etc in terms of SERP ranking ( do I understand correctly that SERP is the position in the search engine resullts ? ). - The only advantage that .coms have over other tlds is that searchers have the tendency to think that whenever you type in a website url the extension is .com. So for domain name traffic, if you get pinkchristmastree.net you will get traffic through the domain name if the searcher remembered to put in the .net. In most cases, the searchers will type in the .com extension. Some searchers even use the "ctrl+enter" function in their browser after typing in the keyword or domain name. Again this is just the case because people have the tendency to think/assume that the website has the .com extension
2.Re URL forwarding.I was thinking of using this feature in a way that is not misleading. For example I want to have a very generic keyword with a very high search average as the main site and I intend to URL forward more specific niche product searches to the main generic site which has these specific product links. Do you think this is a good strategy ? - This is done by quite a lot of marketers while some just park their domain and monetize it that way if the type in traffic is good. Also could you explain what domain masking is and what the advantages are. - Domain masking is just masking/cloaking. Example you own both pinkchristmastree.com and pinkchristmastree.net...your main site is of course the .com and then you want your type in traffic for the .net domain to be sent to your .com site - when you do a domain mask the visitors will be sent/forwarded to the .com site but they will still see the .net url in the browser address bar. Make sense?
3.You mentioned that the search average should not be less than 1 500 - but what about a new technology niche which currently say has only 500 searches and has a future potential of being very profitable ? - The 1500 searches per month keywords strategy is the keyword research strategy taught in the blueprint (I dont know if you have affiloblueprint2.0). However, the keywords with 500 searches are also a viable option in my opinion. But these are what I call "2nd tier keywords", which was discussed by Stompernet in the past.
4. Sorry about all the whys but I need to understand things clearly - re turnkey solutions for creating websites - why are these not good ? - I just think that you will just have a website the same with all the other people who purchased that full website as well. If you will use turnkey websites, you dont have control over the on-page SEO of it and in some cases a turnkey website is a part of a membership program and this means that your turnkey website is hosted by the owner of the membership program. So personally I dont think it is a good option. That's just me, anyone is welcome to give their opinion that turnkey websites work. Also , with Wordpress , can I put up a website as normal ? My big stumbling block to getting started on this is that I have no idea about how to put up a website , and as I said , no money to invest in the tools. However , I have quite a few domains I'd like to develop. - Yes, WP can be used as a website. If you have hosting then you can go into your cpanel and install Wordpress in your domain. You can tweak all the things within your admin account. Go to youtube to find video tutorials on how to tweak WP or how to install it in your domain.

Thanks a lot . I appreciate your time
- Your welcome.
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

chants
Trust:
Hi

Back again as a desperate newbie ! - but with some questions that are very important to me...

I listened to Marks bootcamp webinar last week ( really great value for money ) and understood for the first time that you dont have to own the domain name of the keyword to drive targeted traffic to your website - you can simply include the keywords in your content to be effective , without owning the domain. My queries however are related to how owning the domain of the keyword actually impact the traffic to your site and again what the diffference is between owning a .com or the other major tlds (.net , .org , .info , .biz ) are in this respect....

1. If I have an affiliate site and own a number of domains in that niche, will linking their urls to the main affiliate site drive more targeted traffic to the site ? What role do .com and the other tlds mentioned play in this respect. I am interested for example in high search average.net , .org , .info and .biz . Is there some kind of hierarchy with the different tlds in terms of how they are treated in the final listings ?
2. Also - how does the search engine view a url forwarded domain. Does it rank it the same as the site to which it is forwarded in terms of page rank as well as SERP ( which if I understand clearly is where it appears on the listing )
3. I still dont understand whether , if I have a keyword domain, whether when people are searching for that particular keyword my domain will be at the top of the search engine listing automatically. Or is it not as simple as this ?What can I do with an empty url forwarded domain to get it at the top of the search engine listings. In this regard what is the difference between a .com and other tlds. What happens if I put the same web site on different related domains - is it regarded as duplicate content - or could this be a good strategy to increase affiliate sales.
4. another query _ when choosing a domain for an affiliate site I imagine that the .com with as high a search average as possible is the best choice. My query is this - if I have a domain with a search average of say 1000, does this mean that all that traffic would be more directly targeted to my affiliate site than say if I simply used the keyword in my content without owning the domain
5.Also I would like to know whether it is a good idea to subscibe to copyscape to check duplicate content.

Thanks a lot - these questions are key for me to understand how to formulate a strategy and most wisely spend my money - so I would appreciate a thoughtful answer

Chants

chants
Trust:
Anyone have an answer to these questions ?
PremiumMember
gingerol
Trust:
Hi Chants,
I believe people will find it easier to answer your questions if you don't cram too many questions in a single post - it may discourage folks :)

That said, I believe that your background as a domainer may be distracting you from what is important in Affiliate marketing. Granted that good domain names are good, but they are not nearly as important as content. The key seems to be content, content, content. Give your visitors values for money and traffic will come.

Google looks out for relevance and back-links and the major determinant of both is how useful (how much value) is the content you provide.

Follow through with Affiloblueprint, and get to write good articles.

Hope this helps.

Gingerol
I've learnt things here that have helped outside of Affiliate marketing. Thanks Affilorama!!!

chants
Trust:
Thanks for the feedback. But I still need to know the answers to the questions I asked . They may not be that relevant but they are things I have been wanting to know for a long time. I think I'll post each new question as a separate topic.

This topic was started on Nov 30, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.