Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Want to sell a weight loss product - is it too competitive?

wendy
Trust:

Want to sell a weight loss product - is it too competitive?

Hey guys,

A few hours ago, I read Mark's latest blog entry--the one in which he recommends the Reese Report and says how he would never recommend a product he hasn't tried.

I've also been watching Michael Cheney’s 11 Days to List Profits. He also strongly recommends trying out a product and selling products one feels passionate about.

All along, I've been working on my dog training site. Truth be told, I don't have a passion for dog training nor have I read the ebooks I am selling. But I've been inspired by Mark and Michael to switch gears and try to sell a product that I am familiar with and that I do feel passionate about.

In the last couple of years, I have lost a great deal of weight through improving my diet and exercising every day. Over the years, I've spent tons of time online--researching and educating myself on fitness and eating well. About a year ago, I came across the ebook "Burn the Fat, Feed The Muscle"--when I was about two-thirds done losing the weight I needed to. While the book isn't the only tool I used, I really did find it useful and, to this day, still use some of the principals found in it.

Up until about six weeks ago, I didn't know anything about affiliate marketing. Imagine my surprise to find that "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" was a huge seller and really popular amongst affiliate marketers who use ClickBank.

So, I was thinking of creating a site and trying to sell the ebook using my knowledge and experience with it. I visualize creating something like a fansite devoted to the book.

On the one hand, I feel like it could be a good idea. I have a sense that when one is being authentic, copywriting and ideas flow easier.

But on the other hand, I'm thinking that a) the weight loss market is way too competitive and too saturated and, also, b) the ebook itself is being sold by a billion other (experienced and brilliant) marketers. How can I compete with them as well?

Is devoting a site completely to a general weight loss product that is already hugely popular a bad idea?
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Hi Wendy,

My 2 cents - It's a whole lot easier to maintain a website when you enjoy the subject.

And I think that you're right, authenticity comes through in your writing. Fact is people buy from whom they trust and they like, so you'll have an edge there.

Is devoting a site completely to a general weight loss product that is already hugely popular a bad idea?

So don't go general... weight loss is not a niche, it's a subject, so niche it down... weight loss for new mom's... weight loss for newly single...weight loss for ______

You get the idea.

By developing a true niche site, you can become the big fish in the little pond in a market that you know already likes to spend money.

Hope that helps :D
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Good advice there from Promocode.

Weight loss *is* a very competitive market, but remember: If there are lots of people in a market, they must be making money. Plus your enthusiasm for a product is definitely going to show through.

If you want my advice, I would be hesitant to narrow your focus at this stage to making a "fan site" for one product. There are so many different weight loss topics and niches, types of diet, types of food to avoid, types of exercise, theorising about body types... being able to include all these topics in your site will strengthen your position -- give you a larger footprint, so to speak. And that will help your SEO.

I know this is what I always recommend, but a review site would do very well in this market. Not just a 'review' site... but a broad perspective, unbiased, informed advice site. I've never been much of a dieter myself ( :) ) but I can imagine one of the things that goes out the window pretty early is a sense of perspective. So a site that could piece it all together without an ulterior motive would be very welcome.

Once you've got that underway, then look at monetizing it -- but try to keep it objective. There is a tremendous amount of "pain" in this market, and a tremendous number of products marketed in clever and emotive ways to relieve this pain. A voice of reason from someone who has been there and done that could do quite well.

From your posts I get an idea of your personality, and I think that's a really good asset too. Build your personality into your site and you'll get people coming back because they trust you.

And like Promocode said... get specific. Remember the web diagram from the notes Charles Heflin provided... if you focus on your long tail search terms it'll strengthen your position on the more general search terms. Everyone else is going to be doing a pretty half-pie job... you do it right and there's no reason why you can't get up there!

Regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Wendy from Toronto? I'm near to there :) Big city...

Adrian,