Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Survey: 2 info product ideas - would you buy?

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:

Survey: 2 info product ideas - would you buy?

Hi All,

Never done an info product for the online marketing niche, but am now contemplating 2 of them. So, I'm starting some market research.

If you'd be so kind as to give your response to:

A. Your idea of the value of these 2 products as PDF ebooks, and which you think should come first? (These are just temporary names)

B. What you think of the concept of an online self-paced, self-taught course in either of these 2 topics.
Please assume the ebooks cost $20 and the course enrollment $30.

1. ebook/course: "How To Create High Quality Audio Narration In the Home Office"
In a previous career, I was a recording studio tek and later was head touring soundman for a very popular SF rock band. And I've recorded quite a few tutorial videos in my home office, so I know the methods and the least expensive computer tools to produce great sound files and sync them to video.

And I'd show how to avoid "P-Pops" (implosives), hum and electrical noise, etc. Would include advice on editing out lip-smacking, "ahh", "Uhh", pauses breathing noises, etc. to produce a natural yet professional sound. Could also include a pre-build mixer/equalizer/limiter software setup template for the sound card I recommend (or give that away as a traffic attractor/bonus). Perhaps a video as well.

2. ebook/course: "Visual Persuasion - Visual Marketing for Your Online Product"
As a digital artist, online marketer, former college fine art instructor and creator of the "Art Head Start" ebook of art skills and Visual Communication for art students, I'd like to tackle the subject of how to best use visuals in online marketing.

This would be a much more elaborate, time-intensive and labor-intensive project than the audio one.

What do you think?

Thanks All!
cecille.l
Trust:
A. Your idea of the value of these 2 products as PDF ebooks, and which you think should come first? (These are just temporary names)

Both eBooks sound interesting. I am leaning more towards the Visual Persuasion eBook since I think this is more useful to affiliate marketers as compared to your other eBook/course. This said, I think the eBook on visual Persuasion should come first.

B. What you think of the concept of an online self-paced, self-taught course in either of these 2 topics. Please assume the ebooks cost $20 and the course enrollment $30.

I think that the Visual Marketing eBook is more marketable as a course between the two. I think it would have you'd get more audience on this course too.

---

I think it's more important to focus on what niche you will be marketing these products on as well as the market you will be selling these products too. The two eBooks can be related but I don't think you can market them side by side. I suggest you do a through market research for each course/eBook. This will help you determine where there is a higher need for these types of courses.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Thanks Cecille - you've been a big help all day. I agree that the 2 products wouldn't go side-by-side. And definitely will do more and better niche research than in the past. Your resources here on Affilorama have been good learning materials for that effort.

I reluctantly agree that the Visual Marketing book is the most promising. "Reluctantly" because it's also the most work to do exceedingly well (sigh). Have already researched the fact that only 2 print books exist at Amazon (at least in 2011) and neither is much in the way of "How-To" - as is often the case with printed books. One is so scholarly as to be almost unreadably boring.

Cheers!
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi jimcoe,

I'm glad to help and I appreciate your feedback on Affilorama. :)

Yes, the Visual Marketing book/course is more "promising" of the two as a course because it is a big enough subject by itself. You can narrow it down to focus on visual marketing in the context of affiliate marketing. I think that will be interesting to other members here as well as helpful.

Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Oh! Good idea!

Hadn't thought of the affiliate context, but that's certainly worth a special chapter and a point of view throughout the writing.

Things like affiliates perhaps needing to match the tone, look and feel of the vendors sales page. And using the vendor's marketing materials in ways that further that. Sort of visually preparing the prospect for that final call-to-action coming on the vendor's site.

Do you think that maybe affiliates have to be especially flexible, to not impose their own design sense too strongly, but leverage that of the vendor? Affiliate visual marketing does bring up some interesting issues.

Got to investigate this further...
cecille.l
Trust:
Do you think that maybe affiliates have to be especially flexible, to not impose their own design sense too strongly, but leverage that of the vendor? Affiliate visual marketing does bring up some interesting issues.

It certainly does. I don't think they have to leverage or lean towards that of the vendor because they will not be promoting just one. An affiliate can promote 2-3 products from various vendors at a time. I think that it's important that affiliate marketers design their sites based on improving user experience. Their website should still look very much their own but remain professional.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
That surprises me. I would have thought:

1. That an Affiliate's landing page would be fine tuned for just one product (though they might have different pages for different products) - So as not to dilute the SEO and so as to fine-tune the text to leverage the Unique Value Proposition (which is unique per product), in order to exactly resonate with the needs in the mind of one particular market niche.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you mean more than 1 very strongly related product in just 1 very specific market niche?

2. Doesn't an Affiliate want to avoid sending a prospect to a vendor's site that looks very different from their own, on the principle that they don'r want the prospect disturbed by not fulfilling the prospect's expectations?

That is, the principle that the search terms, Affiliate page and call-to-action should all be matched and be what the prospect expects at each step (no mismatch surprises)?

Thanks for the learning...
cecille.l
Trust:
1. That an Affiliate's landing page would be fine tuned for just one product (though they might have different pages for different products) - So as not to dilute the SEO and so as to fine-tune the text to leverage the Unique Value Proposition (which is unique per product), in order to exactly resonate with the needs in the mind of one particular market niche.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding and you mean more than 1 very strongly related product in just 1 very specific market niche?

I was referring to the affiliate's main site and not the landing page. Landing pages are usually "hidden" or are apart from the main site and therefore can be designed according to the affiliate's preferences. These pages tend to be used as pages for PPC so these follow certain guidelines (like if you're using Google AdSense then you need to follow their landing page guidelines.)

Most of the time, affiliates will be referring directly to the product sales page through text links within their articles so it is not necessary to have their webpages mimic or complement that of the product's.

Have a good day!
Cecille

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Oh yes. I understand now. Landing pages are certainly a different animal, from say a home page, and do require landing/sales page optimization.

And of course text link anchor text has web wide standards as to how it should look - on the affiliate's page and the vendor's (web standards for usability).

But it still seems to me that a text link on an affiliate's web page is always seen in the context of the rest of that page's "Look and Feel" (layout color scheme tone, images, etc., etc.). That is, pages with text links are not 100% text. They will most likely have several other visual elements beside text which make up a visual "look".

So then considering whether the prospect would receive a "jolt of discontinuity" when they get hoplinked to the vendor's sales page should be a concern, even for a text link - shouldn't it?
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi jimcoe,

Interesting point. Admittedly, I have not read much on the subject of web design as it applies to affiliate marketing so I don't feel I am in the position to give an opinion. I think most marketers design their websites as they see fit. The "look" of an affiliate site seemed to have no effect on conversions so affiliates don't really give it as much thought as compared to niche and target keywords.

These days, it's all about content and better user experience so affiliates might consider web design and how it affects users.

Have a good day!
Cecille

PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
Thanks Cecille,

Yes, market niche selection and keywords have to be more critical than the look of the page, they're so important.

Hopefully I can do some A/B split testing to see what kind of improvement % (if any) can be had from matching page "look" to the vendor's page and in general having pages with "good looks".

This topic was started on Mar 18, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.