Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Niche confusion once again

lunatunes
Trust:

Niche confusion once again

I thought I was getting a good handle on the whole niche thing but now
I'm not quite sure.

Everytime I think I may have a workable niche, the numbers in one place
or another dont quite cut it.
I guess I need some advice here.
I've been doing a lot of what I like to call (niche crunching) with B2B topics.
Mark has said that it is good place for niches...especially with adsense site
since the adsense bids are often high.
I'd like to give some examples I was looking at then maybe you can tell me
how I am suppose to be analizing things or if I'm looking at this correctly.

I looked at "Printed Circuit Boards"
The bids are quite high....$1 to $7
competition = 2,000,000
searches = 5300

I looked at 9 other related keywords and the searches were low, 80-500
Although the bids were still pretty high. But the competition was also high (comparatively speaking)
about a million.

I also looked at "Laboratory Equipment"
Bids were $1 to $3
Competition = 51,200,000
searches = 7880
That ratio didn't seem good to me at all:(

A related keyword..."Microscopes" looked better.
competition = 6,870,000
searches = 57,407

Ok, first of all....I'm wondering are these niches.
Would Microscopes be a niche. If so would one do a site on just microscopes or on the broader term of Labroatory Equipment and have a keyword
page with microscopes

Another thing I noticed is that much of the competition that I would be going up
against with B2B topics is big business competition. Kinda tuff I would think. Do I have a reason to be afraid of going up against the medical communities
and big business industries?

It would be wonderful if you guys could shed some light on this for me.
I am so rareing to go on building a website and learning but I am not going to just start with anything just so that I can say that I'm building a website. If I'm going to pour my heart into building a site I would like to know
that it has at least some potential. I'm sure that is what we all want as beginers...lol

I know it's alot of questions, Thanks for your help.

Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Randy, yeah I guess microscopes could be a niche of lab equipment. You could create a massive site about lab equipment, then have your 2nd tier pages optimised for "microscopes", "test tubes", "bunsen burners" etc etc.

Or you could just create a site about microscopes. The niche site will be easier to rank in google, so youll be making money quicker.

Something you need to know is that competition isn't just about the number of competing sites. Its about the quality of those competing sites. 51 million is nothing if they are all crap. Most likely not the case, but you know what I mean.

Do a quick backlink check on a few pages on the first page. Say, 1, 5 and 10. If they all look very powerful, then its going to take a while to beat them.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Getting ranked for a keyword depends on the competition, the monthly search count, and the age of your site.

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Something you need to know is that competition isn't just about the number of competing sites. Its about the quality of those competing sites. 51 million is nothing if they are all crap. Most likely not the case, but you know what I mean.

Do a quick backlink check on a few pages on the first page. Say, 1, 5 and 10. If they all look very powerful, then its going to take a while to beat them.

Thanks Sean: I do understand the whole crap site thing. I use Good Keywords to check out page rank, alexa rank, alexa links, google and msn links. With the medical and industry type sites they all seem fairly strong.

You said that meant it would take a while to beat them.
So are you saying it is possible :D And I'm assuming your talking years.
Thanks,
Randy
lunatunes
Trust:
Oh, I forgot to ask.....what is a good number of back links.
How many makes it a good site?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Lunatunes you have come a long way since your first post! A good number of backlinks does not necessarily have to be a number. It is the pagerank of the page, which your link is on, and the anchor text used. If you had 1000 links I could beat you out with about 5 - 10 links. It all depends, but for MOST sites, it always lies somewhere around the 400 mark.

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:Lunatunes you have come a long way since your first post!

Hey!...Are you checking up on me!....LOL

adrian wrote: A good number of backlinks does not necessarily have to be a number. It is the pagerank of the page, which your link is on, and the anchor text used. If you had 1000 links I could beat you out with about 5 - 10 links.

You could beat me out because you have back links on high pr
sites...correct? Haven't learned about anchor text yet

adrian wrote:It all depends, but for MOST sites, it always lies somewhere around the 400 mark

What do you mean? That at around 400 back links, its a powerful site?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
adrian wrote:Lunatunes you have come a long way since your first post!

Hey!...Are you checking up on me!....LOL

adrian wrote: A good number of backlinks does not necessarily have to be a number. It is the pagerank of the page, which your link is on, and the anchor text used. If you had 1000 links I could beat you out with about 5 - 10 links.

You could beat me out because you have back links on high pr
sites...correct? Haven't learned about anchor text yet

adrian wrote:It all depends, but for MOST sites, it always lies somewhere around the 400 mark

What do you mean? That at around 400 back links, its a powerful site?

Thanks,
Randy

Yes, by having a good number of links from authority sites, directories, and pages that have a high PR, you can outrank a site with tons of pagerank 0 links.

By saying 400 links, I was simply stating that is what I find to be an industry standard. Anotherwords, that is what most sites I have found to be their link count.... it includes a mix of high links and low links etc...

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Just remember it's all relative. And like Adrian said, it's not just number of backlinks, but the quality. This sorta stuff can be pretty involved, but basically, if you want to beat a site you can. It's just that some will be harder than others. It might take longer, it might require more resources to be poured into it.

And anchor text is actually really simple. If a link looks like "Click Here" but actually takes you to www.somesite.com, then the anchor text is "click here". Fine with that?

If you go and google "click here", adobe comes up. Why is that? Because thousands of sites have "If you need acrobat reader, CLICK HERE", where click here is the anchor text.

So if the search engines see your site has heaps of backlinks with your keywords in the anchor text, they will think your site is an authority and therefore rank it higher.

Hope that helps.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
Thanks guys....that helps a lot :D

So if I write articles and submit them to directories that have a decent PR
can I have keywords within the article that are linked back to my page or do most if not all only let you put a back link down at the bottom of the article?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Most will only let you put a link in the author bio, if that.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Most will only let you put a link in the author bio, if that.

How would you then get back links with your keywords in the anchor text?

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Well, in your bio, just have something like "randy hasa cool site that teaches you all about microscopes" where microscopes is the anchor text. Assuming thats your keyword.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
Oh, Well that's pretty easy :roll:

Wish it were all that easy..lol

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:Oh, Well that's pretty easy :roll:

Wish it were all that easy..lol

Thanks,
Randy

No you don't......... because then everyone could do it.

Adrian,
lunatunes
Trust:
Very True. It's a perspective I need to keep in mind of when things get
a little difficult.
Thanks Adrian,
Randy