Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

New to the game - Gutair/Music site good market?

matthewjahn
Trust:

New to the game - Gutair/Music site good market?

Just wanted to say hi, been on the site for about a week now. I aslo wanted to say how much I appreciate this site and your involvement Mark. Your seem to really want to help people in their success! I don't know where you find the time! So....like I said a fresh newbie, I know nothing about this stuff. I'm really ambitious and will be working full time on this. I drive a cab in NYC, been doing it for a couple years, one of the few young white cabbies left! But I want to move on to something else, and with my job I have the flexibility to put a lot of time into this. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out what kind of site I want to make, and have a few qustions.

1. What is the absolute most profitable kind of site to develope. I play guitar and play in bands and stuff, thinking about some sort of guitar site. A little itimidated by the competition though. I would love to do sites that I have an interest in, for obvious reasons. But like you said Mark, it's best to do whats profitable and develope an interest. So..could you give maybe 5 examples of the MOST profitable sites out there? Bottom line I want to make money doing this

2. Should I concentrate on adsense revenue for a site, affiliate revenue or both? Which is best?

3. I have a little bit of money I'm willing to put into this. Would it be a good idea to have a site made for me? How much should I spend? Basically what kind of budget should I be looking at to build a really quality site and get it up and running and looked at as fast as possible?

4. If I had a great site and did everything right, what kind of revenue would I be looking at in 6 months to a year?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks! You'll be seeing a lot of me!
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
matthewjahn wrote:Just wanted to say hi, been on the site for about a week now. I aslo wanted to say how much I appreciate this site and your involvement Mark. Your seem to really want to help people in their success! I don't know where you find the time! So....like I said a fresh newbie, I know nothing about this stuff. I'm really ambitious and will be working full time on this. I drive a cab in NYC, been doing it for a couple years, one of the few young white cabbies left! But I want to move on to something else, and with my job I have the flexibility to put a lot of time into this. I'm at the point where I'm trying to figure out what kind of site I want to make, and have a few qustions.

1. What is the absolute most profitable kind of site to develope. I play guitar and play in bands and stuff, thinking about some sort of guitar site. A little itimidated by the competition though. I would love to do sites that I have an interest in, for obvious reasons. But like you said Mark, it's best to do whats profitable and develope an interest. So..could you give maybe 5 examples of the MOST profitable sites out there? Bottom line I want to make money doing this

2. Should I concentrate on adsense revenue for a site, affiliate revenue or both? Which is best?

3. I have a little bit of money I'm willing to put into this. Would it be a good idea to have a site made for me? How much should I spend? Basically what kind of budget should I be looking at to build a really quality site and get it up and running and looked at as fast as possible?

4. If I had a great site and did everything right, what kind of revenue would I be looking at in 6 months to a year?

I would appreciate any help.

Thanks! You'll be seeing a lot of me!

Hi there and welcome,

I'll start with your questions first...

1) There is no such thing as the most profitable market.... although higher search counts will obviously lead to more sales.. the best type of site to do is the review style websites. Depending on traffic market.... affiliate or adsense would be the best way to go.

2) I would go with affiliate for your first site.

3) I would save your money and use it towards marketing. Learn in the beginning and you won't have to rely on someone in the future.

4) It all depends on the market, your motivation, and how well you did your site.

Adrian,
sellwithvideo
Trust:
Let me start by telling you a few mistakes not to make. Your here on Affilorama. There is all the learning material you need in this site. I strarted on the 90 program about 4 weeks ago I am only a week into the 90 day program. Why because I started looking at other programs until my head started hurting. Be very careful with your time and don't go off like I did and look at other stuff unless it relates to the type of site your building. It got to the point most of my time was spent reading about other programs and not just doing it and making it happen. Also when you get suck ask questions. Affilorama rocks as far as the content and the people who are here to help.
Good luck. Ben
jaydebaca
Trust:
I agree Ben! It is so enticing at times to get sucked into other programs out there. There is a blog from Mark somewhere or maybe it was an email, where I was advised to simply drag all those GURU Monstors into a separate folder.

That folder is bursting out of the seams! Now, when I am stuck, I simply come to this forum or watch a video. That folder will probably never be touched! My brain can handle only so much! :lol:

I a still a bit jetlagged, and its amazing how many ideas pop into my head. I gotta start carrying a little scratchpad!

Best wishes Mathew! Jay in Denver! Well... in SFO right now.
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hey Matthew,

All good questions there. Actually those are probably the most commonly asked (or at least thought) questions that new affiliates have. There's not really any hard and fast answer for any of them. In fact a large portion of Affilorama is directly or indirectly involved in answering those questions, so it's a bit hard to answer all your questions in the forum :)

Here are some lessons/videos/blog posts that might help you:

https://www.affilorama.com/blog/10/how-t ... -answered/
https://www.affilorama.com/blog/12/findi ... le-niches/
Lesson 2.2: How to do keyword research
Lesson 2.3: How to find profitable PPC markets
Lesson 2.4: How to find profitable markets for natural search listings
Lesson 10.2 : Mindset of a super affiliate
Lessons 1.0 - 1.9: The 90 day roadmap

When you're saying "what's the absolute most profitable type of site to develop" -- that's pretty vague. Building a site like YouTube or MySpace that are now worth millions (billions?) would be at the far end of the spectrum. Everything else depends on your market and how you are able to promote the site.

If you're into learning guitar and you've got a bit of money to spend, I'd recommend getting your site set up as a review site for affiliate products and then maybe spending a bit of money on PPC to start it self-funding. But (like I say in the audio blog I've listed above) unless you've got a couple of thousand dollars at this stage, you'd be better off working on your organic SEO and getting your site ranking well in the search engines.
As an example, http://www.speedlearnguitar.com is one of my learn guitar sites that I'm just getting started... it's currently making money through PPC on the review page, but it's still in its early stages.

That's one idea, but if you wanted to make a site on another subject, affiliate products might not be as good to promote, and you might be better with Adsense. It's all so relative, there's no real easy answer.

Similarly I can't really tell you how much you'd be earning in six months. It depends on how hard you're working, how many sites you're building, what your goals are, etc. I say to get your site earning $20/day before moving onto another -- this is a very reasonable target, and it's very achievable. But it's also possible to do much, much more than this. It really all depends on what you do.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific... there are no definite answers. It all comes down to you. But that's the beauty of the industry... you have no limits.

All the best, and I'm sure we'll see you around :)
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

matthewjahn
Trust:
Thanks for the quick response guys, I thought I'd be waiting for days to hear something. Yeah, I think your right about not getting distracted with other programs. I actually stumbled on to you Mark from your pitch on salehoo.com I signed up before I got the second lesson! I think I got lucky, this was one of the first affiliate programs I looked at. All good info guys! I think I can start to narrow it down a little now. It's a hard choice, when you know your gonna be stuck with it for a while. It's like a relationship or something, but you can choose who your gonna be stuck with! :)

Thanks again,

Matt
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
hey Matt, you're right, this is a pretty good find for a newbie.

Don't worry too much about becoming a millionaire overnight. Theres a lot of learning to do, so just take your time in the beginning and make sure you continue to ask us questions whenever you're stuck.

Goodluck,
Sean
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Or can we..... ;)

Actually, I keep some pretty weird hours. Often I'll be up late in the might, doing this or thinking about that.

If anyone writes a book on how to survive without sleeping, I'll be your first customer.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
If thats by a guy with a weird sounding name, then I've read it ;)
www.SixDayWeekend.com