Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

How many keywords?

iryancassidy
Trust:

How many keywords?

Hi, I'm Ryan.

I'm rather new to this forum, but it does seem a brilliant source of information for me. I'm in the midst of creating one of my first affiliate websites, but I'm really confused as to how many keywords I should have and on which pages.

I'm doing keyword research, and have found one keyword relating to my site being searched at 8k per day which seems healthy. Shall I just use this keyword as such on this site? Or shall I take the more logical approach and branch out on a few more highly searched keywords?

--
One more thing I need to clean up.
--

On my affiliate website, I intend to have a few reviews of products. Both affiliate and non-affiliate to give balance within my views. Was just wondering, what would I have to do with the SEO here? Would I need to do more backlinking to the reviews rather than the main home page?

All answers much appreciated.
PremiumMember
toby101
Trust:
Hi Ryan - Welcome.

If you are doing a 20 article page site you should target different kw's for each page but try to make them related.
eg:
Home page: Dog training
Article pages:
Dog training tips,
dog leash training,
house training dogs,
dog training commands,etc...

"house training cats" is an example of a non related kw to this niche

Make sure you kws have good exact matches too. No point targeting a kw with 10,000 broad searches if only 50 are searching the exact match.

Backlinking

You should always have more links directed to your home page than any other page. It will appear very odd to the search engines if your home page has 50 backlinks but a product review page has 500 backlinks. Having said this your review pages are imporant so concentrate on getting good quality backlinks to them. A site with well balanced backlinking will stay the course over the long run.
iryancassidy
Trust:
Thanks for your answer. Much appreciated.
newstart
Trust:
Keyword selection is very important for your website's profitability. Your chosen keywords should be long tailed buyer keywords. Having a generalized keyword may increase traffic count but is not likely to produce those searchers seeking to purchase your product.

Your site should have an overall subject or keyword. Each individual article page should have a "buyer keyword" related to the overall general keyword along with being related to the page's subject. The general number of words for a page is six words. This may equate to one long tailed keyword or several. If several, the first keyword is the primary keyword for the page. The other words are secondary only provided to add further suggestions to the page subject matter for the search engines.

An example of a multiple keyword clarification would be "SEO MARKETING" as a primary article's keyword. A secondary keyword may be "search engine optimization marketing". The secondary keyword may not be specified in the article however it helps clarify article subject matter for the search engines. The total number of words used as keywords is six. This technique has always passed muster with the page analysis grading software no matter which one I opt to use.

In regards to article marketing most sites will allow you to place up to three links linking back to your site. It is often adviseable to link to the homepage, similar article as being placed with ezines or whomever. This way the links point to your website and the subject page.

May I suggest you look into subscribing to AffiloBluePrint. It is a full comprehensive program designed to assist you in producing a affiliate website using a word press platform or that of X-Site Pro. It will answer all of your questions in step-by-step detail enabling you to build your websites quickly with maximum on-page and off-page SEO.
Last edited by newstart on 06 Sep 11 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

cecille.l
Trust:
If you are doing a website with 20 pages, then you need 20 keywords to optimize each page/article. I suggest using long tail keywords as these target phrases too within the long tail phrase. Example: labrador clicker training targets labrador taining and clicker training. You might find the following articles helpful:

A Great Keyword Research Tip
How to do Keyword Research
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Optimize each page on one keyword per page. In choosing keywords, think of somebody who would be interested in buying your products and the words that they would be typing in when doing a search. Joining forums related to your niche would help a lot in choosing good keywords. ;)

For product reviews, it would be best to focus on doing reviews only on products that you are promoting. I don't think they would mind if you are an affiliate as long as your site has quality information and your articles have fully covered the topic.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

iryancassidy
Trust:
Thank You for your replies. After taking your advice, I've found a great keyword containing 'best' - with allintitle results of 10,900 and global monthly searches of 6,600. Is this a decent keyword?
iryancassidy
Trust:
I forgot to say, these were 'broad' term searches.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Choosing keywords with a search volume of 1500 or more is recommended. You should also make sure that these are "buying" keywords. Your visitors should have the intention of buying the products and not just researching about the subject or looking for free information.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

affifah
Trust:
Thank you for sharing this useful instructions..
The keyword selection is the best step in SEO.. So it should be good to give importance to that step...
Last edited by affifah on 10 Sep 11 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

karell_li
Trust:
Keywords are very important because it whats people type when looking for something. Mark suggests to use at least 30 or more keywords, each keyword has a chance to make it to the front page listings. In choosing keywords few factors are to be considered like the buyer intention . Its better to target keywords that indicate willingness to buy so I suggest you to use buyer intention keywords.
The first step in the acquisition of wisdom is silence, the second listening, the third memory, the fourth practice, the fifth teaching others.

This topic was started on Sep 03, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.