Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

How do keywords, SEO and traffic come together?

niterider
Trust:

How do keywords, SEO and traffic come together?

I've gone through almost all of the free lessons, watched a few of the guruview videos and some of the premium videos so far. One topic that I'm having trouble understanding completely is keywords and how they are to be utilized properly in order to begin ranking your website (and get traffic).

For example: say I have a website on "Health and Fitness". The website consists of a home page and then various articles that focus on different aspects of health and fitness. One article could be "Proper Diet" another could be "Effective Exercise Routine" another "Supplements" etc.

Now when implementing my keywords, am I trying to use keywords related to all of these topics on my homepage? (As in the actual text on the homepage uses keywords related to diet, exercise, supplements etc.) Or am I trying to rank each article page in Google (for example) by using keywords specific to that article and topic? In other words is the point to use keywords to rank a site as a whole or to focus the keywords in each article and rank each article on your site individually? Is the point of it all to bring visitors to your home page and let them dig through your site from there or take them directly to an article? Or both?

I hope this makes sense. Seems a lot more complicated typing it out than it did in my head. :)

Thanks in advance for any help!
yogeshs
Trust:
Thanks for helpful post ( Keywords, Seo and Traffic. How it all Ties Together ).. Really We should keep this things in mind while doing on page SEO..
Latest Brands in Nashik

peria1949
Trust:
It is said that the mighty Google wants people to use adwords for traffic just to line their pockets.The paradox is that Google dislikes paid linking for others but the same yardstick does not apply to them.
kallayprasanth05
Trust:
I would always go for individual on-page SEO. In other words it is better to build SEO for each and every page in order to get better results. Of course your home page can serve the purpose to a large extent if the right keywords are implemented.
wahprofitscom
Trust:
Keeping my answer specific to your own example, I would suggest that the homepage should concentrate on health and fitness in the broad sense, using keywords to this end.
Drill down to more specific keywords on the relevant article pages.
Google will list individual pages on their relevance to these specific keywords.
You will have more chance of listing well for the more specific keywords/phrases on the article pages, bringing more visitors. With good navigation, having served good copy on their interest, they are much more likely to then explore other parts of your site.
Consistently adding new article pages will keep Google happy in their search for new content and as they list more of your article pages well, this will begin to reflect well in the homepage listings as well. Whilst they make it clear that sites should be 'fresh' with new content, they don't think or expect this to be added to the homepage.
Another tip is to have at least two or three article pages on the same topic, raising the chances of each visitor clicking onto a 2nd, 3rd or more pages. This will help keep your 'bounce' rate down. A bounce rate is how often a visitor leaves a site after only viewing one page. It is perhaps the biggest killer for your ranking. Best of luck.
Andy
All you need for IM Success - www.WAHProfits.com

harun.naim
Trust:
wahprofitscom has explained perfectly.

We should always keep in mind that Google will rank and show a page not a website. You should put very good quality articles with catchy headings and sub-headings so that visitors have an overall idea about it and get interested to read it. You can also insert internal links (anchor text) in that article. Those links will direct the readers to other articles of other pages of your website. You should also put couple of other article links which are related to the topic below/beside the article the reader is going through. The interested click on those if the initial article is satisfactory. I think it is a good way to get rid of bounce.
daljeet.kaur
Trust:
Keywords game is really an important thing that need to be use with proper plan and strategy. It is not always compulsory while writing content for website and for blog posts that you need to add same target query again and again in content. This is not the right strategy to promote a target query. It depends upon you that how much variations you are doing with that keyword in a single post .
alpa
Trust:
That all together depend on all one to one.so you are use seo without traffic not ranking.
damon_13
Trust:
For the keywords upon ranking, you should use it both to rank your site and articles. This would boost your article rankings, and at the same time boost your web ranking for SEO. The traffic is attracted to your keywords, and more traffic also means higher ranking.
Site Admin
gina.broom
Trust:
Some great answers here!

This is my 2 cents:

First: Focus on keyword targeting page-by-page. It's not just about getting people to your homepage, it's about ranking each page in its own right.

Second: The keyword you use for each page is important, but it's not enough to just have it there. The content for that page also has to be top notch. So, when creating each page, think of your keyword as your topic, and build the best resource for that topic you possibly can.

E.g. If your keyword for the page is "supplements", that means you have to try to make the best article on the internet about supplements. Whatever information someone might want on supplements, you have to have it there.

Third (last but not least): It's best for your SEO if people spend more time on a page, and then go on to other pages too. Having great content, as I mentioned before, will help increase the time people spend on your page.

To get people to move onto other pages on your site (rather than "bouncing" off your site as others have mentioned above), it's a good idea to link to similar content on your website.

E.g. If you have an article on supplements, and you also have an article on food choices that provide the most nutrition, you could have something like this in the supplements article:

"X supplement is a great source of protein. There are some foods that also provide this much protein. Want to know which ones? Read about it here." - And then you link to your other article. Because the topics are similar, you've got a better chance of keeping people on your website, which is great for your overall site SEO.

Hope that helps! :)
- Gina
endy daniyanto
Trust:
Hey niterider,

Technically, you can't rank a web 'site', you can only rank a web 'page'. A web 'page' can be a post on your site, or a page, or your home page.

Google will rank your web 'page' based on the content on that page and also the content on other pages on your 'site'. In my experience, it's best to rank an inner page that targets a specific keyword.

The home page of a site usually acts as an introduction, while the sales happen in the inner pages. I've found that it's profitable to rank inner pages that target buyer intent keywords so you attract visitors who are thinking about buying.

I've made a short video that explains 'sites' and 'pages' in more detail here: https://youtu.be/6cCcAwyJLDQ

Cheers,
Songwriter. Affiliate marketer. Casual gamer.

milandaiou1
Trust:
I always do SEO for individual pages. I think create for each page's SEO is better. Of course the purpose of your home page to a large extent if the right keywords are implemented.
abmelis1
Trust:
I think the problem is not really the keyword or SEO but what is making someone to sell and others to do not achieve it. Many have some pages related with internet marketing where their web page is not related to any specific keywords. No matter what they sell and a lot about internet marketing, vice versa you can target a perfect keyword about internet marketing but not selling nothing at all.
kallayprasanth05
Trust:
Individual web pages that get ranked high in the search engines automatically popularize the primary link. This is what link popularity is all about. By the word 'primary link' I mean the website link and not the page link here.

This topic was started on Oct 29, 2014 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.