Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Google's keyword CPC value accurate?

gthomas3
Trust:

Google's keyword CPC value accurate?

Hey,

I'm getting ready to launch a website in the skin-care genre and have been pounding away at my keyword research. I'm narrowing down the more "profitable" keyword by locating those with higher CPC's. I'm somewhat new to SEO but I understand in this scenario Keyword A would ultimately be more profitable, or have the potential of bringing more profit than Keyword B, despite keyword B's significantly higher traffic/day (with the assumption you place in top-10):

Keyword A (search traffic/day: 100, CPC: $5.00) = $500/day
Keyword B (search traffic/day: 1,000, CPC: $0.40) = $100/day

This leads to one problem, everyone says traffic is king, but traffic that buys is god. However, the above methodology relies 100% on the accuracy of Google's CPC estimates. If you're targetting a much smaller traffic stream, they better actually be buying. I know over time you would track and analyse these keywords and figure it out for yourself through sales figures, but without these resources doing startup keyword research, does anyone have any words of wisdom on the accuracy of Google's CPC estimates?

I recently read this post on Market Samuri's forum:
http://www.noblesamurai.com/forum/topic ... et-samurai

The admin's response sounds like a wisely crafted sales-pitch, and I'm 100% confident it is. But it definitely made me question myself for relying on a resource which may be the achilies heal of my startup keyword campaigns.

Thanks for any advice on this
wollowra
Trust:
Hi GT,
Welcome to the world of Google adwords...lol
I know this may sound simple but you really do need to test.
If you go with the lower traffic keyword and higher PPC then you pay more up front but if that traffic is converting like you said then you can cover the cost or at least break even.
Will this happen, I don't know but watch your costs as they could blow out.

My prefered option would be to go with the higher traffic and lower CPC to test the water so to speak.
Get a feel for the niche and build on that.
Will this traffic convert, again.. That's the million dollar question and depends on your Keywords and 'buying traffic'

As for the CPC, I have found Google to be very unreliable with estimates.
The tools seem to be more accurate from third parties, but even then I have found that they have quoted one CPC price of say .50 and I can get it for .34 by raising my quality score.

I hope you sort it out and your testing goes well and you profit right off the bat.. but more than likely you will lose a little at the start and you will then need to tweak your campaigns.

Kindest Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

gthomas3
Trust:
hey Troy, thanks for the response.

I just re-read my post and I didn't mention it, but I meant in the sense of choosing keywords to target for SEO not PPC. Where you're selecting keywords to build your site around anyway, so would it be wise to target higher search volume words or higher estimated PPC value. But you cleared that up--in the end it doesn't seem like the estimate is much more than that.

I'm in the process of throwing up my first affiliate site so I decided to hop on the fence and select 50% high traffic, 50% lower-traffic higher PPC keywords. We'll see soon enough!
wollowra
Trust:
No Probs,
Yes.. test, test and then ummmm, oh yeah.. Test some more...lol
There are 2 trains of thought on going after high searched for keywords or little tiny niche markets.
You can test both.
Did I mention you need to Test..lol

Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

This topic was started on Sep 23, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.