Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Confused about keyword research and keywords

kakaboo
Trust:

Confused about keyword research and keywords

Hi I am a little confused about keyword research and keywords.

From what I have read and done, I bought a domain which was based around one keyword phrase originally..
But after having developing the site with a few posts and starting to build a little backlinks, I realize that actually you need to have around 20-30 + keywords to target before even starting to develop a website?

E.g (Just an example, ignore it if the keyword is not good)
I researched 'dog training' and maybe I got the domain dogtraining (dot) com
But after that do I actually need different keyword phrases other than 'dog training' to target on that particular site? Like 'dog food', 'dog togs' , 'puppy food', etc

Is that true? Or I could just have 20+ pages of content targeting that one keyword phrase 'dog training' instead???
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Ideally, your domain name should describe what your site is about. If your niche is dog training, then dogtraining.com would be a good domain name. If your site is mainly about dog training and you have articles on 'dog food', 'dog togs' , 'puppy food', etc, then it's okay to have dogtraining.com as your domain.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

kakaboo
Trust:
michellerana wrote:Ideally, your domain name should describe what your site is about. If your niche is dog training, then dogtraining.com would be a good domain name. If your site is mainly about dog training and you have articles on 'dog food', 'dog togs' , 'puppy food', etc, then it's okay to have dogtraining.com as your domain.

hmm I am not asking about the domain, I mean, actually we need like 20-30+ related keywords to target before we create a site? Instead of a primary one (dog training in this case)?
faradina
Trust:
Yes, you would need 20 to 30 long-tail keywords and you will write an article around each keyword then put up those articles on your website. So you will be targeting one keyword per web page and your primary keyword can be the one you target on your homepage.

I hope that helps :)
kakaboo
Trust:
faradina wrote:Yes, you would need 20 to 30 long-tail keywords and you will write an article around each keyword then put up those articles on your website. So you will be targeting one keyword per web page and your primary keyword can be the one you target on your homepage.

I hope that helps :)

Oh sheesh then I went about it the wrong way..haha
My primary keyword phrase is something which is quite difficult to turn into longtail keywords but it is already part of my domain name

Oh well I guess I will have to find another way around it

This topic was started on Nov 10, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.