Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Blog Name vs domain name for niche

susicohen
Trust:

Blog Name vs domain name for niche

I'm new here and this is my first post. I have canvassed the forum - great info - but couldn't find an answer to my question. I hope this is the right place - would appreciate any helpful input.

My Niche is "horses" in general and various sub niches in particular - info - gifts - training - news etc.there are tons.

I plan on promoting CB products (about horses) on my blog to start with although the name is not KW related to horses. Is this a bad thing. It is www.carouselmarketingco.com and is a horse owners/lovers etc. site with a lot of content. Pretty new yet but growing.
Dilemma:
Should I just build a new blog with "horse" something as a domain? My other thought is is to use my name as the domain -ie susicohenrecommends.com/horse product and just build seperate sites. I also need to get a Squeeze page in before they get to the product because all of them have their own optin and I might get the sale but loose the customer.

Which would be the best course of action or should I do both - which is ok - but seems redundant.

Many thanks for any assistance,
Susi Cohen
Susi Cohen
All For the Love of Horses

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
Hi Susi, welcome to affilorama. horses is such a broad topic, perhaps a tighter focus would be better. really the domain wont matter that much, although it may to some. the hard part will be getting direct traffic if it is to hard to remember, and relate to the topic of your site.

your blog is looking nice, but I would keep it targeted. if your site is about horses, get rid of the make money content. put it on its own site, but keep your focus on the niche that your site is about.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

susicohen
Trust:
Thanks James
I thought most of that "money making" stuff was gone - better check it out - forgot to remove the links.

Do you think I can link to affiliates off the blog or should I set up a separate site. I need to grow a list. And I wanted to do it from the blog instead of a giveaway Squeeze page. Any thoughts?
I am doing articles and forums at the moment with targeted focus on one aspect of horses - is that what you meant?

I really appreciate your input.
Susi
Susi Cohen

emilsp
Trust:
I were you, I would create/buy/outsource a free report (or a mini course) about owning a horse and put the opt-in form in the sidebar of your blog. You can also create a popover opt-in form to increase your opt-in rates.

Yes,you can link to affiliate products from your blog, that's fine. But these products have to be relevant, you don't want to promote make money products.

susicohen
Trust:
Thanks so much

Yes I understand what you say - money making is gone for now - Have a good giveaway
Was just wondering about the the Squeeze page alone vs opt in on the blog -

Thanks for your input.
Susi
Susi Cohen

emilsp
Trust:
You can build a squeeze page on the same domain name, but on a separate page (such as www.carouselmarketingco.com/free-report). Test both and after a while you will see what works best for you.

I think I would go for sending your visitors to the blog so that they can read your blog posts and get some value out of them. Have your opt-in form in the sidebar and consider having a popover that appears after some 30 seconds.

susicohen
Trust:
Thanks so much - most helpful and that is just how I will do it.
Sure appreciate your time.
Susi
Susi Cohen

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
What I like to do is a combination. Ihave a squeeze page, but I also have an opt in on the sidebar.

you need a plan for what your intentions for the blog are. do you want to build a comunity blog or do you want to just use the blog to build a bunch of affiliate pages because of the simplicity of WP?

The reason this is important is because the way you run your blog content will be different. IF you want a community blog, you would want your home page displaying your latest posts. you also want to write more conversationally, and link to lots of free stuff. the focus should be more on building relationships, starting a conversation, and creating a community for people to hang out on.
with this type of blog, occasional promotions are ofk, but I recommend doing it only 1/10 posts. Give lots of stuff away that other people would sell. this will build your relationship with your followers, and people will not only come back, they will share your blog with others. People will be doing your link building for you, and you can focus more on creating fresh new content, although you still need to spend time promoting too.

if you just want to build up a promotional affiilate site using wordpress, then its ok to promote in every post, but you wont build up a strong community of followers. you would focus more on one time sales and opt ins.

Personally i find the blog community more fun to run, althogh it is harder, and a long term commitment.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on Aug 14, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.