Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Amazon and product name question

davekaynz
Trust:

Amazon and product name question

Hey Folks, first posting so please be gentle.

I have a site in mind for a product niche on Amazon. Product keyword research looks good and most of them are brand name/model number keywords. Though I have yet to be approved as an Amazon affilliate. Need to build the site first.

What I am struggling with is this.
I have seen people talk about Amazon getting a bit upset with people making websites with brand names as the domain name.
I was wondering about this structure for my site and do you think it would bother Amazon.

Using the example of the niche being about boxes.
Domain name www.reallygoodboxes.com not a high ranking keyword but it doesnt matter. Its the pages on the domain that will rank.
www.reallygoodboxes.com/redboxesh23/ where red is the brand name and h23 is the model and redboxesh23 is a good exact match keyword.
www.reallygoodboxes.com/yellowz44boxes where yellow is the brand and z44 is the model and yellowz44boxes is a great exact match ketword.
and so on and so on.

So i present a site to Amazon as www.reallygoodboxes.com with the other pages not made.
Think this would get me accepted as an affilliate?

Cheers from New Zealand
Dave
" Whether you think you can or you think you can't
You are right! "
Henry Ford

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Using product names will limit your site in promoting just one product. It would be better if you could promote at least 3 related products on you site.

Product names are also usually copyrighted so your site might get suspended if you use them as your domain name. The product owner might also legally force you to turnover your site to them so you'll lose the site you have worked hard for.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

joshuas
Trust:
Hi Dave,

The way you are planning to use product keywords should be fine since it's not in the domain name itself. Since you will be applying using the root domain, I doubt that Amazon would give you trouble over that either.

Regards,
Joshua
davekaynz
Trust:
Thanks for your reply Michelle. Ultimately there will be many subdomains selling many brands on the site.

Joshuas, I was following your thinking and am going to take the punt.

Cheers
Dave
" Whether you think you can or you think you can't
You are right! "
Henry Ford

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Joshua is actually right, Dave. Sorry for the confusion. I was answering another post and I was thinking along the same lines. Now that I have re-read your post, I agree with Joshuas and believe that you won't have any problems using the product name on subdirectories/subfolders.

All the best!
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Jun 05, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.