Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Installing WordPress

cassie
Trust:

Installing WordPress

Do you have to have a domain name and hosting set up BEFORE you can install WordPress ?

Do hosting companies install it for you?

Thank you.
faradina
Trust:
Hi Cassie,

Yes, you need to have a domain and hosting service before you can install wordpress.

There are hosting services that install it for you and there are those that do not. Best find out in advance what they will and will not do for you.
Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
Web Hosting companies that use C-Panel (HostGator, BlueHost, etc) have a collection of automated install script called Fantastico which you can use for installing WordPress. In this way, you won't have to manually upload the WP files and create the database. Normally, web hosts won't install WP for you when you purchase an account from them, they'll just tell you to use the automated install script instead.

By the way, we also have a Fantastico-like tool through our Premium Hosting's eXtend controlpanel.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

michael025
Trust:
Actually, there is a way to install WordPress without actually having a domain name and hosting company, I was able to do it using a program called WAMP server. But, I do not see any advantages why you should do it, and also, it doesn't seem to be compatible with the Affilotheme. It would be better if you get a domain and hosting company first, as having it done for you would make it a lot easier, specially if you are not familiar with using MySQL or PHP.
faradina
Trust:
On AffiloJetpack Lite Hosting, we preinstall wordpress and the AffiloTheme for you. Affilojetpack Lite Hosting becomes available to you if you sign up for AffiloJetpack.

We will be reopening AffiloJetpack towards the end of this week, so you will be able to sign up for it then. And in the meantime, you could sign up to receive the free report. If you sign up for the free report, you will get the chance to sign up for the free webinar and will be notified the moment AffiloJetpack is reopened.

You can find out more about AffiloJetpack by reading What is AffiloJetpack? in the Affilorama Support Center.
jcdean
Trust:
I don't know about other hosts but Blue host is push button simple, literally, all you have to do is push the word press button in the c-panel choose the domain from a drop down box and you are ready to blog, easy peezy
Respect,
JC Dean

Site Admin
mikeantiga
Trust:
@jcdean, Yes.BlueHost, just like HostGator, has Fantastico in its C-Panel that lets its users install WordPress in just one or two clicks.

Affilojetpack is one of the few hosts that I know that preinstall WP (the other one is Wordpress.com). Other hosts like HostGator and Bluehosts will not preinstall WP mainly because not all their customers prefer WordPress as their CMS.
Want lessons on Affiliate Marketing, SEO and Content Creation? Get them here for FREE:
http://www.affilorama.com/lessons

julia wasson
Trust:
How do I install WordPress on a site purchased at Homestead and hosted by Affilorama? I'm stumped. I'm not a techie, but I can use WordPress if I can just get into it. Thanks!
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
Sites hosted on Affilojetpack hosting already have WordPress preinstalled so you don't need to install it anymore. You just have to point your domain to our nameservers and you'll be able to build your site through your WP dashboard.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

michael025
Trust:
Julia Wasson wrote:How do I install WordPress on a site purchased at Homestead and hosted by Affilorama? I'm stumped. I'm not a techie, but I can use WordPress if I can just get into it. Thanks!

Hi Julia, Homestead uses it's own website building software. They try to market their complete website building solution. Please check with their support first if their sites can be exported to WordPress, but if you are comfortable with their website design and their tools, then you don't even have to use WordPress anyway : )
michael025
Trust:
Also, please check with Homestead support if their websites can be managed through a different host. Their website building software was designed to be managed through their own hosting platform, so you need to clarify if you can move it to Affilorama hosting if you wish.

This topic was started on Nov 21, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.