Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Sometimes I wonder if all the work is worth it

mark schaaf
Trust:

Sometimes I wonder if all the work is worth it

We all work hard to make our sites better and get higher in the search results. I was a little worried after the new google update as to whether my site would stay on page 12 and 14 of my main search terms and weeks after it was supposed to have happened it was still on those pages. I was real happy a couple weeks ago when I finely got my first google page rank of 3, not the greatest but the site has only been up since mid September last year. After I got my rank I went on google to see if my search rank had gotten better and it was still in the same position which was fine. Today 2 weeks later I went to check where I was in yahoo and google. On yahoo I was still on page 2 and 4 but when I check google I was all the way the hell back on page 25. I just don't get it I do all this work finely get a page rank and now I am 13 pages back from where I was. I wouldn't bother me if I didn't look at many of the sites that are in front of my site and run them through site checkers. One of the sites had 4 yahoo backlinks no google backlinks and a google page rank of 2 and it was on page 11 in search results. I looked at the site and it looked like it was made by a little kid the articles on the site weren't very informative or well written. My site on the same site checker shows 94 yahoo backlinks no google back links and a page rank of 3. This is where I just don't get it, isn't the higher google page rank supposed to indicate a better site. Aren't they supposed to be taking in all the info like back links and page rank to place where in search results the site should go. Now I know the site could be back where it was or higher in a couple days because I know sites often bounce up and down but while it is down who is going to see it. I know I need to keep a clear head about this stuff but I get so dam mad when I see this kind of crap happening all the time. What good does it do for google to change it's algorithm so people are shown the best sites first if it doesn't. Sure I am a little biased in terms of my site but I am also objective. I read the other sites that are in front of mine and see why the better sites are there but in this case and other times this happens the other sites aren't very good at all. And what about the numbers, shouldn't a site with a page rank of 3 and 94 links show up before a site with a rank of 2 and 4 backlinks. Isn't a google page rank of 3 supposed to mean it is better than a site with a rank of 2 isn't that what is it all about. We know that googles computers don't go onto the pages of a site and read the content so how does this keep happening. How do we stay focused when we are pissed at what keeps happening.
Mark

jcdean
Trust:
We are all in the same boat.

My main blog on Wholesale / Dropshipping has been bouncing on and off the serps for about a year.

I don't really have the words to help you feel bettter but I will give it a shot.

If your site is really the best, and is on page optimized and you are adding content and links to it on a regular bases, your pages will eventually rise to the top.

SEO is a long painfull process. Sorry my friend.
Respect,
JC Dean

PremiumMember
kieran
Trust:
Hi Mark

We are constantly being bombarded with "proper" ways to do SEO and get noticed by Google. At the end of the day it's the sales that count. I have had good sales from "poor" webpages and no sales from "good" pages. Sometimes I have poured much effort in to content and linking efforts with no results whatsoever. Other times it has worked very well. Often I get surprised by success from out of the blue.

It seems as if Google has somewhat lost the plot lately. Certainly I am finding results for my own searches very disappointing and unhelpful. The Big G seems to be more concerned with putting sponsored results in front of me than in answering my query. Sometimes these sponsors take up all of Page 1, leaving me to go to the next page before even starting to see some real answers.

Throughout all this, however, I try to keep focused. Some people might call it "plodding"! And it works. The sales keep coming (not, of course, fast enough), and I take all the stats with a pinch of salt. So, please don't feel too hard done by and, most importantly, don't give up your hard work.

Regards

Kieran

P.S. If you can produce content as good as your "rant" above, you must be able to do well in this business!
Kieran

www.moneymakingbuzz.com - the Key to Online Wealth
www.buildthingsdirect.com - the Top Site for Home Improvement Projects

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
I know it can be frustrating, but once again, this is why we don't put all our eggs in one basket. Never rely on any one source of traffic to your site.

There are a lot of factors that can be in play, even if they dont have the best content. If they are getting traffic to their sites from other means and you are just sitting waiting on the Google bandwagon, that actually may be why they are getting higher rankings. You never really know what is going on with Google.

overall, I quit trying to get Google rankings a long time ago. I will take whatever they throw my way, but I prefer to go out and find people to visit my site myself.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

kakaboo
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:overall, I quit trying to get Google rankings a long time ago. I will take whatever they throw my way, but I prefer to go out and find people to visit my site myself.

Thats true but for some niches or sites its very difficult to find alternative sources
mrehan
Trust:
Has anyone noticed how some exact match domains are ranking on google in position 2,3.4 or 5 with less than 5 backlinks. These are ranking for keywords that on the google keyword tool exact match search count is between 1000 to 3000 per month. How is this possible. Is there are a way you can make a site to rank on google like this without good backlinks. I have been slowly learning about seo and it took me about 9 months to get my first site into google 1st page (still learning), and my second site took about 4 months. But when you see things like this , I wonder how can I ever do that.
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
they usually rank really highly for a short ammount of time, but they usually dont stick there long. also, Google doesnt accurately report the numbers of links. I had one with over 100,000 links that google was reporting less than 100.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

cecille.l
Trust:
I have no words that will make you feel better. I have asked myself the same question a couple of times and thankfully, I always found the answer to be "Yes, it's worth it." It's hard to look at yourself (or anyone who asks you the same question) and say the same answer with conviction when you know you have done all you could and don't see any sales. I move on to other projects and forget about that website for a while, just so I can keep the ball rolling. When I am once again in a much better frame of mind, then I tackle that website again and see why it's not making me any sales.

It's always easy enough to say this is not worth it and just move on. But if you value your investment like I do, you'll find ways to keep yourself motivated.
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

mrehan
Trust:
@ James , yeah some of these EMDs dont stick, but there are some I am keep checking up on that are ranking in high on google page 1 for the last 5 months. In my opinion there are some guys who know how to game the system otherwise it just does not make sense.

This topic was started on Jul 10, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.