Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

Is it better to build one big website or split the topics?

rudolf55
Trust:

Is it better to build one big website or split the topics?

Hi Mark, staff,

My question is, is it better to build one big website or split the topics and divide them over different domain names, as they would be better silo'ed. I'm wondering if that's better because the website would be dedicated to one topic only, but then again, if a website has many different topics it has much more content, and would that work synergetic?

Thanks in advance for your replies,

Rudolf
jasondodd
Trust:
Hi Rudolf

It's a fair question - there can seem pros and cons either way. Generally for people following the AffiloBlueprint course its recommended to get one site earning say $50 a week before expanding to other sites to replicate their success.

If you have one big site and its extremely broad i.e. covers completely different niches you might find it hard to rank for anything in particular even if use siloing.

Search engines will index the entire site looking for relevancy and keyword density to match a users search - and if your site doesnt have focus it may not feature high up in the rankings.
Limited time special - Try Affilorama Premium for just $1 for 7 days: https://www.affilorama.com/premium

Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
It's better to create separate sites for different niches. Otherwise Google gets confused as to what your site is about. Mark mentioned in the forum that it might be okay to do a general site for search engines but you'll get higher clickthroughs for PPCs when your site is specific.

You might also want to read through these similar threads:

Broad Niche or Sub Niche Site/s

Is it best to have one content rich website or many?

Using 1 domain for several products, each with a subdomain?

Can I Have Just One Domain for All My Niches?
Last edited by michellerana on 12 Oct 10 10:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: updated link

Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

rudolf55
Trust:
Thanks! I got it.
sevamaster
Trust:
I think, you can build one big website. in this case you will be able to share your ranking between subjects.
mark18now
Trust:
it is much better to build one big site in the long run... in the short run keyword URLs work for a quick ranking. I have many.... all with a PR2.. Had i only had one, I could have had a PR4 by now... link building takes much longer split by many sites
rankwarrior
Trust:
separate sites is far better.

This topic was started on Oct 14, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.