Want to work your way up in SERPs? Get and share ideas on link building, on/off page optimizing, social SEO and more.

How Long Does It Take To Get A PR?

tyuqte
Trust:

How Long Does It Take To Get A PR?

Does anyone know, generally? I thought 3 months, to 5 at most. But my friends site has been up since March, and he's linked by pr3's I think. They updated google and he still doesn't have a PR. Very strange.
mark schaaf
Trust:
There really isn't a set time to get a page rank and just because someone has a web site doesn't mean it will ever get ranked. I have a couple goofy little sites selling stuff for years and they aren't ranked. My biggest site and the one I spend the most time on was launched last September and has over 40 pages and I finely got my first page rank about a month ago followed by about 4 other pages on the same site getting ranked. I think you get ranked after the site has been crawled for a while and the site is determined to be of value to viewers and then it will be ranked. I have seen some really crappy sites out there that have been up for many years more them some of my little sites and they aren't ranked. So as far as I am concerned a site shouldn't be ranked until it is worth being ranked and depending on the site it could be a long time.
Mark

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
REallly, PR is more about the backlinks coming to it than the quality of the site itself. You can have a crappy site with really good backlinks that will get a high PR (just look at EZA, most of the content is crap but they have a really high PR... )

The number and quality of your backlinks is going to determine your PR over time. This is actually what the No follow attribute is all about. When people choose to follow a link, that link will pass PR to the page linked to. So, you need to get quality links from Pages (not sites, but specific pages) that have a high PR, and make sure they are Do Follow backlinks.

However, don't rely on Page Rank. it is really a metric that was used for rankings about 3-4 years ago, but it is a dead tactic. So many people learned how to scam the system that it really doesn't matter much anymore.

my PR 0 sites still outrank Pr 5 sites, because I have better content and better traffic coming.

The difference is in your focus. If you have a choice of getting a high PR backlink that will give you a trickle of traffic, or a PR 0 backlink that gives you a TON of traffic, take the PR0 backlink every time.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

easyrider
Trust:
After only 3 months I got PR1-2 running right through my site (probably due to the internal linking). But it does not equate to high search engine rankings - that I can assure you of. Just the other day I had a PR2 page (with a number of links pointing to it) outranked by a brand new site, (that had only been live about a week) with only one link pointing to it (which was probably from their hosting account!) and complete crap content on the site. Can anyone guess why this might be the case? (I know the answer BTW!)

If your friend has got PR3 links but still no PR, then the links are probably on pages with many outgoing links (which is common with unmoderated blogs which do not have the "nofollow" tag). Remember also that Google only updates PR periodically.
Greg

rob3
Trust:
mark schaaf wrote:There really isn't a set time to get a page rank and just because someone has a web site doesn't mean it will ever get ranked. I have a couple goofy little sites selling stuff for years and they aren't ranked. My biggest site and the one I spend the most time on was launched last September and has over 40 pages and I finely got my first page rank about a month ago followed by about 4 other pages on the same site getting ranked. I think you get ranked after the site has been crawled for a while and the site is determined to be of value to viewers and then it will be ranked. I have seen some really crappy sites out there that have been up for many years more them some of my little sites and they aren't ranked. So as far as I am concerned a site shouldn't be ranked until it is worth being ranked and depending on the site it could be a long time.

Google runs a special algorithm, perhaps a variation of googlebot2.1 that checks for the elements, mostly relevant backlinks, updates, traffic, and domain age and makes a PR determination. PR used to be reviewed once a month. Now, reportedly, Google is only running the PR algorithm about 4 times per year. When it happens, it's called the "Google Dance" because page ranks are shaken up and SEO's and affiliates get nervous or happy depending upon their work and skills.

The Google dance is becoming less frequent because the regular googlebot2.1 is improving and is beginning to make the PR determinations as it spiders.

NOTE: no one knows exactly how Google works, much is speculation based on experience. Sometimes inner truths can be learned from Google top management at seminars or in bars maybe.

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
My own blog is a great example of PR changes. It had PR3 about a year ago, then I made some changes and started targeting a slightly more focussed sub niche than the general niche I was targeting before. MY PR dropped to zero when I changed, and Now it is back up to PR2. Not sure if it was the changes that caused the PR drop or what, but it is going back up now.

This is something that will change with time. the more time you put into it, and the better the links are that point at your site, the better off it will be.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

This topic was started on Aug 22, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.