Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Should I delete PPC keywords with Zero impressions?

nates450r
Trust:

Should I delete PPC keywords with Zero impressions?

ok everyone

i am using PPC for my traffic my goal is to have a well rounded campaign but i have a lot of dead keywords

i have multiple keywords for my campaign, But as i am a still learning
i have found that some of the keywords have 0 impressions -should i delete the keywords with 0 impressions?
also i have keywords that have 0.7%-0.10% impressions but no clicks

IMO the keywords with 0% impressions are not targeted enough to show
and the keywords with some percentage in impressions are not relevant enough to the search term

am i correct on any aspect of my thoughts?
Last edited by michellerana on 15 Oct 09 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: title revised to describe the post better

wollowra
Trust:
Just out of interest Nates, What's your quality score?

Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
To tell you the truth i can't find it on the (new) Google interface.
How do i do it? anyone??
nates450r
Trust:
i just went to the old interface and looked. All my keywords have an (ok) quality score.
wollowra
Trust:
nates450r wrote:To tell you the truth i can find it on the (new) google interface
how do i do it? anyone??

Click on the Keywords Tab.
On the right side you will see FILTER and VIEWS
Then choose CUSTOMIZE Columns
You will have the option of choosing what you want to appear.

Troy

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
ok overall i would say 95% of my keywords are 7's
wollowra
Trust:
Ok,
This is only my opinion ok as adwords can be different for everyone, but....
If I had an adgroup or keywords with 0 impressions after 7 days.. get rid of them.
You don't want to manage dead keywords with 0 impressions...
Focus on what is working and split test.

Hope that helps.

Regards
Troy
:)

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
ok thanks,
even my keywords with 0% impessions have a quality score of 7
does that matter?
IMO if there are no impessions or clicks on the keyword than it does not matter if it has a good quality score or not because its not working anyway.
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
nates450r wrote:ok thanks,
even my keywords with 0% impessions have a quality score of 7
does that matter?
IMO if there are no impessions or clicks on the keyword than it does not matter if it has a good quality score or not because its not working anyway.

Spot on.
Just means your keywords and related ads and landing page are ok, but the market is not there for those keywords with 0 impressions.
Also, make sure you choose the search network and not the content network.. if that is what you want.
:)
Regards
Troy
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Robert Brault

jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

Have you verified if your ads are showing for the keywords that have 0 impressions?

Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

nates450r
Trust:
Um, i believe so
because the keywords that i use in my ads dont have 0 impessions

i have a lot of keywords that i dont use im my ads and those are the ones with 0 impressions.

do you mean i should only have keywords listed in my campaign that i plan to use in my ads??
jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

Like you said it doesn't matter if you have a high QS if your keywords are not getting impressions. I agree with you because the whole purpose of advertising is exposure and that is why you are willing to pay for it through Adwords.

When you have an adwords campaign you specify the keywords you want to bid on and you specify the ads for these keywords etc. The only reason why your keywords will have no impressions is if the corresponding ads you have for those keywords are not showing up on google's search results. If these keywords have decent monthly search volume and if you are bidding high enough then you should have impressions on the ads for those certain keywords. Impressions is the total of times your ads are shown to someone searching using one of your keywords.

On your question: do you mean i should only have keywords listed in my campaign that i plan to use in my ads??

Well, if you don't have plans of using those keywords in your campaign then it seems odd that they are even there right?
Besides, when you create an ad group in your campaign you need to specify the keywords and the ads for those keywords for the particular ad group.

I hope this somehow helps you clear things and not confuse more.

Regards,
Renato

nates450r
Trust:
ok thanks for the information
i will try some new ads targeting different keywords in my campaign.
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

If you don't have too many keywords you may want to try the PPC 2.0 technique of having 1 adgroup per keyword. Make the keyword the adgroup name and the title of the ad to make the campaign as granular as possible.

Renato

nates450r
Trust:
ok i will try that
thanks,

one question
when i have more than 1 ad group can they run all at the same time or can only one ad group run at a time??
jpastorizo
Trust:
Nates,

If your account in Google is upgraded and has now a max of 100 campaigns instead of 25, then you can have a lot of ad groups within a campaign. The upgraded adwords account with a 100 campaign limit can have a total of 10,000 ad groups and 5,000 keywords per ad group.

Yes, you can run multiple ad groups within a campaign. You can segregate your keywords and create ad groups by categories if you like.

Renato

nates450r
Trust:
Thanks for all the help
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
each adgroup can be set to rotate evenly so they each get the same amount of impressions or you can set to most relevant where the best add gets shown the most
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

PremiumMember
elogic0007
Trust:
Hi Nates,
You can run multiple adgoups at the same time...let me know how you get on ...I`ll be happy to help you out
nates450r
Trust:
well right now im getting tons of ppc CTR but no sales, the visiters are clicking my ads-go to my site-click though to the merchant, but than thats it no sales it is very frustrating it feels like im thowing money down the toliet...oh i mean google : /
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
Nates, can you give us some stats?

- CTR
- Impressions
- number of clicks
- current quality score etc..

I mentioned this to Mark once and he said
"Often people tell me they have clicks and no sales. Then I find out they only have 400 clicks, which is not statistically significant by any stretch as you can have 0 sales for 400 visitors then 5 sales in the next 100."

Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
the daily CTR to the merchants from my site is around 60%-75%
im getting 48-67 clicks daily
my quality scores are 8's-10's
my KW's match the most used search querys (for ppc)

the site is ranking on 1st page of google & yahoo for the most popular search querys
Last edited by michellerana on 14 Oct 09 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

wollowra
Trust:
PPC can be very frustrating at times.
The profit margins can also be small but the significant money comes with huge volume.

You can do what you like nates and this is only my advice, if you have had the keyword/s running for 14 days and you have had 800 clicks and no sales then that tells me..

A: the merchants landing page is bad and does not convert well or B: The keywords your using are not buying keywords, they are 'Just looking' keywords.

It could also be the niche? Do you get sales from the free search? If not then you may not get sales from PPC.
This is assuming you are on page 1 and have some good visitors to your site.

If you have had 0 sales from a keyword after 800 clicks, I would pause it and move on.

Just my 2 cents.
Regards
Troy

-- Robert Brault

nates450r
Trust:
thank you would you mind taking a look at my post here and comment please? website-building/review-my-website-please-what-do-you-think-t4953.html

This topic was started on Jul 05, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.