Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

PPC Landing Pages

johncrosbie
Trust:

PPC Landing Pages

If I get most of my traffic from PPC, do I really need 30+ articles that PPC visitors never see? That seems like overkill to increase the quality score.

Could I repurpose some of those content articles as PPC landing pages? They all have useful content (which would help the quality score), plus 3 affiliate banners/links per page, and a popup signup box. It would be great if I could use some of those articles for SEO + PPC.

Has anybody tried sending PPC traffic to content pages with the side-bar links active? I understand Mark's point about forcing PPC visitors to focus on the affiliate links on that landing page, but would it really be so bad if they checked out other pages (with 3 affiliate links per page) too? And wouldn't they be more likely to opt in after reading several articles, rather than seeing one landing page?

I'm happy to run my campaigns according to Mark's recommendations... but I wonder what would happen if I tweaked those recommendations a little.

I'd appreciate any advice on these points. That'll save me lots of time and money in split testing.
greenhome
Trust:
In a recent webinar, Mark said if your landing pages have the same content as your article pages, just make sure to make them "noindex, nofollow" so the search engines won't penalize you for duplicating the content.

That's what I'm going to do.
johncrosbie
Trust:
Great! Thanks for the advice.

What do you think about sending PPC traffic to several linked pages (i.e., with a sidebar like with the content pages)?
anthony
Trust:
Quick question, When sending traffic from google to similar landing pages on a website, to avoid the duplicate content issue. Should I use the "noindex" tag only, or the "noindex nofollow" tag?

If I use the "noindex nofollow" tag, as was suggested to me, doesn't this mean that google will not follow the all important links at the bottom of the landing page leading to the privacy policy, contact us and the other important links thereby giving a low quality score?
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Was just browsing some old posts when I came across this one, and just for the record, the nofollow tag is to prevent robots following the links on the page but theres every chance the robots will find the pages from some other page. Not having the nofollow tag will not negatively affect your QS.

ps Dont confuse this with the rel=nofollow tag which applies to link juice and not indexing.
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on May 08, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.