Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Optimizing a PPC Campaign

kenc138
Trust:

Optimizing a PPC Campaign

Hi guys,

I hear the phrase "optimize your PPC campaign" quite often and I can't seem to understand what this exactly entails.

For example, I've got about 30 keywords in each of 3 adgroups targeting "urgent" keywords like "stop panic attacks", "stop social anxiety", and "how to stop..." (roughly 10 words at broad, phrase and exact in each adgroup). Now, what are the deciding factors on whether to ditch a certain set of keywords?

Should I keep the ones that generate impressions since those are the ones that are being searched on? Or should I ditch the 4/10 keywords? I'm hesitant to ditch the 4/10 keywords because for some reason I know they're extremely relevant to the landing page, but for some reason G just gives me a 4. It would seem odd to ditch a keyword you know is relevant, but the Adsbot doesn't, right?

At the moment, I have nearly 80% clickthrough from my LP to the Clickbank sales page which tells me that my LP is doing it's job, and the sales page is likely where people are bouncing.

I've also noticed that "how to" phrases while generating clicks seem to be people that want an immediate solution, not people that want to buy...or do they?

At any rate, some pointers on what to do with this information would be excellent. I've hit a brick wall.
andyblack
Trust:
Hi,

I've just joined so thought my first contribution should be to help where I can.

Optimising your PPC campaign typically means doing whatever you can to increase your CTR, reduce your CPC, and increase your Impression Share. This is the top of your sales funnel... obviously you don't just increase the CTR without thinking about what effect it has on your LP CTR and overall ROI.

Off the top of my head (assuming you have 10 keywords x 3 match types = 30 keywords... and assuming you are using the Search Networks and not the Content Networks):
1) Make a note of your CTR, Avg CPC, and Impression Share for each of the keywords.
2) Create a new campaign called "Clickbank - Exact" or similar.
3) Create 10 separate Adgroups for each of the keywords you are bidding on, and make them all Exact match. Yes, that means having one exact match keyword per Adgroup. Make the Ads highly relevant to the keyword by sprinkling the keywords into the Adcopy, in particular the Title if you can. Set appropriate Max CPC.
4) Do the same for two separate campaigns "Clickbank - Phrase" and "Clickbank - Broad". The easiest way is using the Adwords Editor... where it'll take you under 30 seconds to duplicate the Adgroups, keywords, and Ad copy... then change the keyword match types en mass.
5) Pause your original Adgroups.
6) Voila.... highly optimised Adwords Campaign.
7) Monitor the new ones and check CTR, Avg CPC, and Impression Share over the coming days/weeks/etc.

I hope that helps.
Andy
kenc138
Trust:
Andy

This is really good information. Thanks for taking the time to contribute. I'll start putting these into practice immediately and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again :)

Ken
andyblack
Trust:
Hey Ken. How did you get on with that new structure?
allenhoward
Trust:
Read this post.
http://www.bruceclay.com/blog/2007/11/q ... ment-30814
Volusion Store Design By http://www.altwebmedia.com

robinjackman
Trust:
great about ppc campaign.

This topic was started on May 07, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.