Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

keyword lists for ppc

PremiumMember
gripex
Trust:

keyword lists for ppc

Ive tried something lately with my ppc keyword lists. Im using a tool that allows you to create keyword lists with several small lists. So you have a set of words like buy, purchase, order etc as your first set, then you have your root keyword 'blue widgets' then you have a set of keywords like 'now', 'free shipping', 'fast' etc etc.

When i generate a keyword list this way i end up with 20,000+ combinations and most of them are proper english and make sense. i then make a campaign with 2000 keywords per ad group with these keywords. even though there is 20,000 variabtions they are all very targetted. because they all contain the root keyword. So if i was selling pink spiked dog collars my keywords would be something like:

buy pink spiked dog collar
buy pink spiked dog collar now
buy pink spiked dog collar free shipping
order pink spiked dog collar

etc etc

my ad text would then be something like :

Pink Spiked Dog Collars
Many Pink Dog Collars Available
Fast & Free Shipping

then have a landing page with a headline and title has says something like "Pink Spiked Dog Collars On Sale"
and a large graphic before the fold of a pink spiked dog collar.

etc etc..

Is this the way to do it, with tons of keywords that are very targetted?

So far so good, im had some success with great CTR and good conversion rates. what do you guys think?

gripex
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Gripex,
Just out of interest what tool are you using? If you don't mind.
Also, If your getting good CTR and conversions then keep doing it in my opinion.
It's funny... what works for one person may not work for another due to keywords,adgroups,niche etc etc..
If you are making a profit then that tells me you are on the correct path for you.
Regards
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

mlcarter
Trust:
Hi Gripex,

Sounds like you are on the right track!

A few things to keep in mind is make sure that all your keywords are
relevant. By this I mean that each and every keyword needs to relate to
the ad and the ad needs to relate to the landing page. As soon as there
is a disjoint anywhere you lose the sale in most cases.

I have found that people I have helped in the past using tools to
generate their adgroups have lacked relevancy. However yours
look ok from what you have shown.

Also I recommend that you track your keywords so that you know
what words are actually bringing in sales for you. Once you remove
the poor performers you will have a refined list and then your
commissions will increase.

All the best!

Matt Carter
wollowra
Trust:
Hi Matt,
Out of interest, How do you suggest you track your Keywords?
Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
gripex
Trust:
Ya i track my keywords (my own php script) how ever, it seems that you have to wait a long time to eliminate keywords, i mean, you need what? atleast 100 clicks to evaluate a keyword, if not 200?

thats something that sorta has me stumped. going broke while i test the campaign, get conversions but like, its a different word everytime (that converts), i dunno. lol.

i was thinking of removing the keyword that gets a conversion and then put it in its own adgroup with its own super targetted ad. and maybe landing page too? i dunno.
PremiumMember
gripex
Trust:
that tool is called keyword tool, lol. there is no name for it, and i totally forget who/where i got it from though. its basic, but if you give it good lists then it works pretty good

This topic was started on May 11, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.