Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Designing landing pages optimized for PPC

icj1
Trust:

Designing landing pages optimized for PPC

Re Mark's website howtospeakspanish.net from the early tutorials; I'm assuming it is successful site, why? since it seems (to me) there's no content on it. It must work just by using testimonials, audio and autorespond box?

Is it designed as a landing page (optimised only for PPC)?

To implement such a page for myself...

1) I'm starting from scratch - so I've no subscribers, no testimonials. Can I use the testimonials from the product to which I'm affiliated?

2) I'm assuming it's been optimised for PPC. What modifications/optimisations would it need in order to work on article
submission sites?

3) At the risk of being lazy and searching through all the videos, which vid lesson best serves to demonstrate a site that is optimised for article submission? (I remember one about hair styles somewhere.) I know no one likes to give examples of their own sites but there must be some examples somewhere that I can see?

4) Am I correct in assuming that Learn Spanish product reviews and hence the links to them get sent as an intermediate bulletins perhaps?

Ian
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Hi icj,

We're going to be redoing a lot of our video lessons very soon, and you've just highlighted one reason for it: Out of date examples! HowToSpeakSpanish.net was promoted by PPC to build an email list for promoting spanish products. The lesson was recorded before Google introduced their high minimum bids for sites with low quality score (ie, no real content). At the time, it was profitable. Now it's been Googleslapped. We might eventually get around to resurrecting it, just not yet.

1) I'm starting from scratch - so I've no subscribers, no testimonials. Can I use the testimonials from the product to which I'm affiliated?

Yup. That's what a lot of people do.

2) I'm assuming it's been optimised for PPC. What modifications / optimisations would it need in order to work on article submission sites?

I'm not sure what you mean. You want to build an article website for PPC? Or are you talking about SEARCH ENGINE optimisation? Define "article submission" for me

3) At the risk of being lazy and searching through all the videos, which vid lesson best serves to demonstrate a site that is optimised for article submission?

Here are a couple of examples:
http://haircutadvice.com
http://dogobedienceadvice.com

4) Am I correct in assuming that Learn Spanish product reviews and hence the links to them get sent as an intermediate bulletins perhaps?

Yup.

Let us know what your plan is here... I might be completely wrong but at the moment it sounds to me like you're wanting to promote an article site through PPC, which isn't a very good idea.

Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

icj1
Trust:
Thanks Mark. No, I was assuming your Spanish site may have been optimised for PPC (I want to steer WELL CLEAR of PPC for now) and wondered what mods you'd have to make to optimise it for article sites instead. Maybe I can answer my own question in what I'm observing below...

I notice that neither your Hair Cut Advice or Dog Training sites have headers or Sub-Headers. So, again I'm assuming that since they're content/article-rich, they're optimised for article submission sites and ezines etc. It would appear that as such, they don't (necessarily) need furnishing with bold Headers and Sub-Headers?

Ian
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
You're still saying "optimised for article submission and ezines", and I'm not sure what you're meaning by that. The way you choose to promote your site (perhaps through submitting to article directories or ezines) has pretty much nothing to do with your on-page SEO.

What I think you're getting at is that sites designed for PPC won't necessarily need as much on-page SEO as sites designed to get traffic from the search engines. So you might want to do away with things like <h1> tags, image alternate text, keyword loaded links, etc. But really... it's not going to hurt you if you do have these things on a PPC site, and since it's not much hassle to do it anyway... you may as well. It might help your PPC page look more relevant as well.

I notice that neither your Hair Cut Advice or Dog Training sites have headers or Sub-Headers.

Hate to disagree with you there, but they both have headers. You have to look for the <h1> tags -- those are the headers. You could also have <h2> <h3> etc, but <h1> is the most important.

Hope that clears things up a bit,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

icj1
Trust:
OK. I think I see where your coming from. I didn't put "headers" in a very good context; what I was referring to was the 3 or 4 lines of web-copy style of "sales" pitch that's usually prevailent on the index page of most digital products i.e. like at http://guruslayer.com/ - for example. I guess that could be called headline.

Looking back at your sites and checking the html, I see what you thought I was getting at (h1, 2 etc) and have now applied them to my site : )

Hope I'm not confusing this issue too much

Ian
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Ian, there's a big difference between a sales page and an affiliate type site. The affiliate shouldn't be trying to do any hard selling right up there on the website.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

icj1
Trust:
Thanks Sean, yes, I'm focussing on getting plenty of good content (articles) along with some Adsense & product review links, per page