Struggling with Adwords or Yahoo Advertising? Find and discuss ways to improve your CPC, ROI or conversion rate. Get advice and share ideas on ad copy.

Conversion Analysis for PPC

ccobb
Trust:

Conversion Analysis for PPC

Hi Mark

Great info and help in this forum! Thanks!

Question? I'm new to affiliate marketing and have been going through the materials. I plan on using PPC to drive traffic to my landing page which will take traffic to an affilaite site I plan to represent.

In order to understand the ROI with the PPC what would be good conversions for both the landing page and the site that I represent?

Am I correct in that I need to understand the Click Thru Rate, plus the two conversions of the landing page and affilaite site?

Does this make sense?

Thanks for the help -

Chris
Silicon Valley - CA
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
ccobb wrote:Hi Mark

Great info and help in this forum! Thanks!

Question? I'm new to affiliate marketing and have been going through the materials. I plan on using PPC to drive traffic to my landing page which will take traffic to an affilaite site I plan to represent.

In order to understand the ROI with the PPC what would be good conversions for both the landing page and the site that I represent?

Am I correct in that I need to understand the Click Thru Rate, plus the two conversions of the landing page and affilaite site?

Does this make sense?

Thanks for the help -

Chris
Silicon Valley - CA

Good conversion rates are typically ones that are 1/80, 1/110, 1/120...

It doesn't matter what your conversion rate is.... as long as you are making a profit. You should be aiming however, to double your money based on what you spend.....

$10 in advertising....$20 in sales....

Adrian,
ccobb
Trust:
Hi Adrian,

Thanks for replying to my question.

So, say I have 10,000 visitors to my landing page in one month. With 1% conversion, I'll send 100 visitors to the website I'm representing right? And if the website I'm an affiliate of has a 1% conversion to sales, then that's 1 sale, right?

At 15 cents a click as Mark recommends, how can the commissions on one sale cover the cost of 10,000 PPC clicks?

This is all new to me, but it doesn't seem to make sense yet.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Silicon Valley - CA
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
ccobb wrote:Hi Adrian,

Thanks for replying to my question.

So, say I have 10,000 visitors to my landing page in one month. With 1% conversion, I'll send 100 visitors to the website I'm representing right? And if the website I'm an affiliate of has a 1% conversion to sales, then that's 1 sale, right?

At 15 cents a click as Mark recommends, how can the commissions on one sale cover the cost of 10,000 PPC clicks?

This is all new to me, but it doesn't seem to make sense yet.

Thanks for your help.

Chris
Silicon Valley - CA

If you are only sending 100 visitors out of 10K to the merchants page..... your landing page is absolutely terrible.... I think you are confusing the issue of sale conversions with visitors conversions...

I was referring to a 1% sale conversion with a much higher ratio of visitors view the merchant's website..... with 10K visitors per month... you should at LEAST be sending 2K of those to the merchants page.... thus giving you somewhere around 17 sales.

Mark recommends that price on keyword for newbies so you don't burn money on words that will not convert for you.

Adrian,
ccobb
Trust:
Thanks Adrian for the clarification -

So the visitor conversion should be much higher - say 20%. and then the sale conversion around the 1%.

Is this typical?

Thanks,
Chris
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
ccobb wrote:Thanks Adrian for the clarification -

So the visitor conversion should be much higher - say 20%. and then the sale conversion around the 1%.

Is this typical?

Thanks,
Chris

Yes, you are more on track with that.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
terryb
Trust:
Chris

If you are driving PPC straight to a landing page that then has the intention of pre-selling the visitor and directing them onto the merchant page you should aim to do a lot better than 20% ...

You will improve as you learn and practice ... but I aim for nothing less than 50% LP to merchant ctr ...

I am talking about highly targeted stuff mind ... if you are in broad niches (I don't do that) the number might be quite different ...

My plan goes ...

New LP aim for min 30% CTR to merchant
Quickly get this to 35-50% ...
Nice 50-75% CTR merchant and I am really happy ...

BUT as Adrian say it’s the real conversion that matters, that is to say sales conversion ...

you can have great PPC ctr, good LP to merchant ctr and no sales whereas you may get avg PPC ctr, avg LP-merchant ctr BUT good sales conv ...

all you can do is good research, make a plan ... and then test test test ... once you have it down, rinse repeat ...

I know some great marketers and they typically can find 2-3 good profitable campaigns out of ten attempts ...

Persistence and determination is key as you will IME have more loss campaigns than profitable campaigns BUT the good ones sure make up for it ... :wink:

HTH :)

Terry
ccobb
Trust:
Hi TerryB

Thanks much for your insight and follow up .... very good feedback!

Chris
Silicon Valley - CA