Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Wordtracker Research

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:

Wordtracker Research

On the 24 hour traffic prediction help page the following data was stated;

"StatMarket informs us that the Metacrawler and Dogpile engines account for approximately 0.86% of all search engine queries."

If that is the case, how do we know this is an accurate representation for the other 99.14%?

Colin

P.S. 5-0 :cry:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
It means the other 99% is a heck of a lot more.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
yep, they're just minnows in a big sea really.

And yep, first whitewash in 86 years or something. I really hope they're not the 2nd best team in the world. I feel for Freddy, I don't think he really knew what he was doing as captain. Hopefully 2009 is a much closer contest.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
adrian wrote:It means the other 99% is a heck of a lot more.

Adrian,

sean06 wrote:yep, they're just minnows in a big sea really.

If they're the minnows who's the big fish?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Of the search engine world?

Google, Yahoo and MSN are the big 3.
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
cdidcott wrote:"StatMarket informs us that the Metacrawler and Dogpile engines account for approximately 0.86% of all search engine queries."

If that's true and Wordtracker uses metacrawler and dogpile I would think that WT's search results would be a poor indication of whats actually being searched.

RAndy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
cdidcott wrote:"StatMarket informs us that the Metacrawler and Dogpile engines account for approximately 0.86% of all search engine queries."

If that's true and Wordtracker uses metacrawler and dogpile I would think that WT's search results would be a poor indication of whats actually being searched.

RAndy

Not necessarily because people will tend to search for the same things no matter what engine they use. (Yes there are "special" engines for some kinds of searches). In general, human nature is the same throughout.
lunatunes
Trust:

True....but what about the search volume accuracy itself.

Let me throw this at ya Adrian.

Lets use the keyword home mortgage loan california

If Overture = 3379 home mortgage loan california ....And

Wordtracker = 144 home mortgage loan california

And Competition is 115,000 which it is. I'm more likely to go for it with a 3379 search volume as opposed to wordtrackers 144 number.

For beginners who have been using the free search tools for a while aka Overture and then try using wordtracker....the low search numbers can really mess you up and confuse you.

Could you explain how your suppose to be looking at those number. Should we multiply those search results in WT by something??

Thanks much,
RAndy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
True....but what about the search volume accuracy itself.

Let me throw this at ya Adrian.

Lets use the keyword home mortgage loan california

If Overture = 3379 home mortgage loan california ....And

Wordtracker = 144 home mortgage loan california

And Competition is 115,000 which it is. I'm more likely to go for it with a 3379 search volume as opposed to wordtrackers 144 number.

For beginners who have been using the free search tools for a while aka Overture and then try using wordtracker....the low search numbers can really mess you up and confuse you.

Could you explain how your suppose to be looking at those number. Should we multiply those search results in WT by something??

Thanks much,
RAndy

Yeh WT uses a different number scale... for example their learn spanish was only 800 or something. Don't let it get you down.... they just use a different number scale. Generally anything over 30 is good...

You can compare the numbers and see for yourself... just divide by the overture number so you have an idea of what to look for... then take whatever word you find in overture and compare it to the WT results.

If you use http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com and type in your home mortgage loan california it will give you 194... which works to 5820 a month. (This number is for the 3 search engines, MSN, Google, Yahoo).
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:You can compare the numbers and see for yourself... just divide by the overture number so you have an idea of what to look for... then take whatever word you find in overture and compare it to the WT results.

I'm not sure I follow Adrian. Could you explain the above in a little more detail. Divide by the overture numbers? Look for what? Sorry :(

If you use http://freekeywords.wordtracker.com and type in your home mortgage loan california it will give you 194... which works to 5820 a month. (This number is for the 3 search engines, MSN, Google, Yahoo).

I come up with the three search engines totaling 10,990 using this tool:
*broken link*

Last edited by michellerana on 26 Feb 10 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
adrian wrote:You can compare the numbers and see for yourself... just divide by the overture number so you have an idea of what to look for... then take whatever word you find in overture and compare it to the WT results.

I'm not sure I follow Adrian. Could you explain the above in a little more detail. Divide by the overture numbers? Look for what? Sorry :(

I come up with the three search engines totaling 10,990 useing this tool:
*broken link*

That tool grabs from Overture and overture is known for being off in their count, whether for better or worse. I'm can't say much more about that, it looks like someone's personal site.

As for what I meant, simply give yourself a figure to go by when using word tracker.... for example.......

Let's say a word on overture is searched 3000 times a month.... but wordtracker only gives it a 250.

What you do is divide 3000 / 250 and get 12.

So now whenever you see a wordtracker word.... just multiply it by 12 to get your overture "equivalent".
Last edited by michellerana on 26 Feb 10 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: remove broken link

lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:
That tool grabs from Overture and overture is known for being off in their count, whether for better or worse. I'm can't say much more about that, it looks like someone's personal site.

As for what I meant, simply give yourself a figure to go by when using word tracker.... for example.......

Let's say a word on overture is searched 3000 times a month.... but wordtracker only gives it a 250.

So now whenever you see a wordtracker word.... just multiply it by 12 to get your overture "equivalent".

Ok...sure, now I get it!!:)

So....do you use overture.....what number have you come up with :wink:

Thanks,
Randy
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
First off, Wordtracker tells you the daily count, overture is a monthly thing, so multiply the wordtracker number by 30 and it should be of the same order, if not a very similar number.

And remember, everything's relative :)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

lunatunes
Trust:
sean06 wrote:First off, Wordtracker tells you the daily count, overture is a monthly thing, so multiply the wordtracker number by 30 and it should be of the same order, if not a very similar number.

Relative....absolutely!! :)

I have come to learn that all these keyword research tools are not the end all.
But seeing as Wordtracker does seem to be one of the better ones, I just wanted to understand it a little better....or would that be bitter...lol

I thought WT was 90 days?

Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
sean06 wrote:First off, Wordtracker tells you the daily count, overture is a monthly thing, so multiply the wordtracker number by 30 and it should be of the same order, if not a very similar number.

But seeing as Wordtracker does seem to be one of the better ones, I just wanted to understand it a little better....or would that be bitter...lol

Randy

The actual paid program is over 90 days. This free one is daily from what I have gathered.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
adrian wrote:
lunatunes wrote:

Randy

The actual paid program is over 90 days (from metacrawler etc...). This free one is daily (from the big 3) from what I have gathered.
lunatunes
Trust:
adrian wrote:Let's say a word on overture is searched 3000 times a month.... but wordtracker only gives it a 250.

Adrian, I tried the above but it doesn't work. The numbers are all over the place. :(

Randy
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
lunatunes wrote:
adrian wrote:Let's say a word on overture is searched 3000 times a month.... but wordtracker only gives it a 250.

Adrian, I tried the above but it doesn't work. The numbers are all over the place. :(

Randy

Odd... seems to work fine for me... it doesn't have to be completely accurate... again it's just more of a relative comparison. Use it for a bit and you'll get the feel :)
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
When I use the paid version of wordtracker, it still seems to give me a daily count, which gives me numbers that are pretty similar to overture.
www.SixDayWeekend.com