Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Using "quotes" - Keyword research

PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:

Using "quotes" - Keyword research

Hey there, Im just wondering, when I do my "long tail keyword" compatition reasearch in Google. Should I put the keyword-phrase in "quotes" to get better idea about the compatition.? (Im a Mac user and cant use Traffic Travis at the moment :( )
jpastorizo
Trust:
Hey strongfarmer, when you do keyword research whether long tail or not, you always search the broad match type. The reason being is that you want to see the whole competition in your chosen market. Using quotes or researching your keywords by their phrase/exact match types will not really show you the real competition. Take note, whenever someone types in a keyword phrase in a search engine the search engine will spit out the overall results (broad, phrase and exact).

I hope this helps.

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

PremiumMember
whistlerh
Trust:
Hi Stongfarmer,

I agree with Renato to a certain extent. But when I am looking for KWP to target for SEO, I look at exact match. This means the person searching is putting their search query in quotes. Find the keywords with the search volume you are looking for and the amount of competition you can stomach and go for it.

I look at it this way, if i am targeting a specif keyword i am not competing with the board and phrase match pages. In all likely hood if i am going to show up anywhere on Google its going to be on the exact match. So i want to be researching exact match KWP and know that I may have a chance in hell to get 1st page rank. IMHO knowing the exact match competition, exact match KW search volume is paramount to knowing the broard and phrase data for MOST of my targeted KWP.

Now you have two schools of thought on the issue, good luck.

Whistler
PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Thanks guys for your answers :)

Another thing that I think is not so clear in the Blueprint is how to measure the keyword competition. Mark suggests you find long-tai- keywords with more than 1500 per day/month... (maybe i missed it) but how do it check my choosen LT-keyword for compatition in Google?

What is a good number of competing sites in Google for given keyword phrase?
PremiumMember
whistlerh
Trust:
The free way that i measure my competition is this:
1. Locate the KWP that meets the 1.5k search volume (exact match is what i use)
2. Go to Google type in the keyword without quotes to see over all competition for the phrase.
3. Put quotes around the KWP and see how this effects the results.
4. I use Quirk foxfire extention tools to examine the web pages that are ranking on the front page of Google for the exact match search query results.

Here is the link to Quirk:http://www.quirk.biz/searchstatus/ or you can search for it at https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/

If not let me know and I will try to clarify.

Whistler
PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
Thanks for that, WhistlerH

I have got Quirk now, it looks good.
So, what facts on competing sites should I look at, when I decide to go for the KWP or not?

What page rank is easy to beat?
How many incomming links?
etc...
PremiumMember
strongfarmer
Trust:
i was watching Week 1.3 again and I noticed that Mark said (around 30min) "We dont need to worry so much about checking the competition for our 3 word or more KWP with 30 articles on the site" - And I think I will just trust him! :) -so thats why keyword competition in not exlained in the videos.
slbagley
Trust:
I installed Quirk, but can't seem to find where it sits in my Firefox browser - can someone assist - I must be blind :-)
slbagley
Trust:
Ah, I finally found the location on my browser.

This topic was started on May 05, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.