Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Primary and Secondary Keywords in Search Engines?

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:

Primary and Secondary Keywords in Search Engines?

In the SEO videos, Marc Lindsay talks about primary and secondary keywords. Is there some way to indicate your 1st and 2nd keywords to the search engines? In other words; do search engines give importance to or even know which are primary and which are secondary keywords, or are they rated by frequency and relevance alone?

Thanks, Colin
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
Colin,

Your primary keyword is the kw or kw phrase that best describes the page you're building. To indicate it's importance, you'll put that in your title and description meta tags, your <h1> headline tags and you include it in your first paragraph of text, preferably first sentence.

The secondary kws are the other words and phrases that someone might use to search for this page. You can scatter them at least once throughout the text.

I've been taught to use both primary and secondary as anchor text too.

Make sense?

PC
PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Yep, makes sense to me.

Thanks PC
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Primary kw is used in H1 tags
Secondary kw is used in H2 tags

Use them sparingly in page text.

Use anchor text for both kws to that page.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
I usually set my site up with the keyword hierachy in mind. ie have your main pge optimised for your 2-3 main keywords, then optimise your category pages for the secondary keywords.

eg.
    http://www.yourdogsite.com
optimised for : Dog training - Online Dog Training

http://www.yourdogsite.com/barking
optimised for: Stop Dog Barking

Do you know what I mean?
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
cdidcott
Trust:
Yep understood, thanks all!

Another thing mentioned in the SEO videos is that internal links should use keywords also. So instead of using "home" as Anchor text to your home page, you use a keyword.

But how about the links up on the top of the page, typically placed under the top banner?

Home ¦ Reviews ¦ Contact Us... etc

Surely we can't use keywords for them, most of my keywords are 2-3 even 4 words in length. It could end up looking messy. If I were to trim the keyword down to make it look more presentable, it wouldn't be my targeted keyword anymore, so it's fairly pointless to use it.

I know this may be a daft question but my site has gone over 200 pages now, so internal linking SEO is a major concern for me.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
For pages like contact us, you can always use a no follow tag so that you won't pass on PR to that page. Do this for all the pages you don't care about ranking.

As for "home", if one of your keywords is pretty broad, then you could easily make it that. But I don't even know if thats completely necessary. People know where your home page is right?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Are you a competitor of mine Sean? Or soon to be I shall say :lol:

Adrian,
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Hmm, what makes you think that Adrian?
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
You gave an example of dog training :)

Adrian
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Ahh haha, nah you don't have to worry about that Adrian. Not for a while anyway ;)
www.SixDayWeekend.com

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
sean06 wrote:Ahh haha, nah you don't have to worry about that Adrian. Not for a while anyway ;)

No worries :lol:

Adrian,