Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Keyword selection for a mega store?

videoman
Trust:

Keyword selection for a mega store?

Hi guys and gals :D

I’m a bit uncertain about my keyword selection for links pointing back at my Audiobook store http://www.speakingaudiobook.com that has 1000s upon 1000s of pages. I simple don’t know how to go about linking to it!

I know the general idea for normal sites; customize your pages for your chosen keywords and link back to your pages with your KWs in the links; but I obviously can’t go round optimizing all my store pages!
So if I wanted to rank my business category for instance, for “Business audio books” would it be enough having lots of links pointing back at the main category URL when the business pages have the word business in them and audio book (often written audiobook) but not necessarily together exactly how my KW is?

I would really appreciate any help that the more experienced people here could give me on this as I really have no idea how to proceed!

Thank you in advanced :)

Jayen
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
If I'm understanding you correctly........ you are asking if linking to your business category...... with the words "business audiobook" will rank that subpage for that term? In general, yes it will.... you will also see some rankings for pages even without a link if your site is well organized and optimized.
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
You'll want to rank different pages for different terms.

Hopefully you've already constructed your book pages so that you give yourself a better chance for ranking higher for those terms, which will result in quite a good conversion %.

Get links to your internal pages as well, although I'd focus most of them on your index page.

If you need anymore info let me know.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

videoman
Trust:
Hi Adrian and Sean :D

Thank you for your responses :P

sean06 wrote:Hopefully you've already constructed your book pages so that you give yourself a better chance for ranking higher for those terms, which will result in quite a good conversion %.

Have you heard of spoken network by any chance formed by Paul Smithson, the creator of XSitePro? They are the ones how set up the store, I can add text to the category pages (only a small amount otherwise it wont look right) but not to product pages as they are all auto generated by the system with the product descriptions that the publishers provide.
So I can’t do any heavy KW optimization. But I’ve been doing a bit of research and from what I’ve seen so far this is true of mega stores in general anyway!

If you use a KW density analyzer tool (This one is very good www.articleunderground.com/webmaster/ke ... -tool.html) then you can see that when looking at online mega stores there home pages have all kinds of different words from the various product they sell and as a result they aren’t very well optimized for there KWs.

For instance the home page of audible.com has “buy audio books online” in its KW meta tags, yet it doesn’t appear on the page! But it’s ranking #1 for “buy audio books online”??
Does this mean that you can rank for KW phases that don’t appear on your page just by having a lot of links pointing at you with those words? Or is it that as long as the actual words that make up your KW phase are scattered on your page you can rank for it, again with the help of links? Or maybe both?

I’d like to hear what you more experienced guys think about this as I’m not about to start making assumptions on my little bit of inexperienced research :lol:

Thanks in advanced

Jayen
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
You can rank for anything if you have enough links. On page is still important, but getting links is what you should be spending your time doing.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world