Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Just don't understand

mark schaaf
Trust:

Just don't understand

I have been trying to do this online stuff for a while, I had a couple little web pages this time last year that I spent about the same amount on ppc as i took in, so I stopped it and decided to make a site on something i liked and based on something i hadn't seen. I put up a how to travel site and have a ton of information on just about everything. I have been doing a lot of article marketing and seo and my site is top ten pages in yahoo, bing and top 20 pages in google which for the most part gets me nowhere.

So I started PPV after one of Marks webinars and am getting a lot of traffic but no one is buying anything, I know when i plan a trip that i probably go to the same site at least 6 times before I book anything so I kind of know that happens, I have asked for ideas on this forum and get a lot if information saying move my sales banners, and do this and that and a lot of people keep saying put myself in the viewers place and ask myself what do I what to see and when I look at my site I see exactly what I want to see.

I based my site on what I was looking for as far as information I want to see when I am planning a trip. so my biggest problem is with all the traffic I have been getting is what the heck are these people looking for, I will have 5 people out of a hundred go to my site and look at 3 or 4 pages and spend 2 or 3 minutes on my site and the rest seems like as soon as they see my site they just click off. so I guess my question is what are the ones clicking off looking for that I don't understand.

how do I figure out what they want to see that I am not showing them. and why do so many more people not like what they see then do like what they see. I am grateful for all the help people are giving me but if i don't see and know what the 95 out of a hundred people don't like when they see my site how do I change it. and how do I change it so the people that do stay and look through the site don't leave because of the changes I made. I am starting to get worn out by all this. If anyone wants to see my site look at my last couple questions in this section. thanks Mark
Mark

michael025
Trust:
Hi Mark,

I understand your frustration....maybe a lot of people are interested in travelling to italy, but just looking for information at the moment...I understand that what I'm saying isn't going to help much, but as I previously mentioned in one of your previous page, it depends on the effectiveness of your landing page. Can you post the actual ad you do PPV for? If you are not comfortable, you can send me a PM. This way, I can see more clearly what needs to be changed if there is a need for it....
mark schaaf
Trust:
thanks Michael 025 but it isn't really an ad, I am using one of the ppv companies mentioned on the webinar ran by mark a couple weeks ago and what these people do is show a 800 x 600 shot of my web site every time someone uses the keywords I chose, I don't know if this is how all the ppv companies do but these guys say people sigh up with them for free stuff in return for these pop ups to show when they are doing a search I thought being that these people knew they are going to get some kind of pop up most of the time they do a search would mean a good conversion rate but so far i have had about 1200 people on my site an no sales. I also ran some of these things for another site I used to do ppc for and am getting the same result which makes me worry because when i did ppc on the other site i would get maybe 2% conversion which isn't too good bet is a lot better then what I am getting through this ppv stuff. makes me wonder if i am doing the right thing running ppv ads, Mark
Mark

PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
it all depends on HOW you run the adds. I am sure the webinar was for a training product that taught how to do it all properly, and track what is going on.

However, I have to say, the best thing I have done to find out what people coming to my site are looking for is to get out there, find them and ask. You can do that by finding forums and social sites where yor potential customers are, meet them, make friends, then ask for some feedback. The best feedback I have gotten on what to change doesn't come from other marketers it comes from my potential customers.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

mark schaaf
Trust:
Thanks James that's what I was thinking but if 95 out of every 100 people click through basically without looking at anything how do i get anyone's input. how do i get anyone to tell me what they like and dislike about my site. in the last week I have had about 15 people stay on my site for at least 15 minutes each which is great but still no sales but I am hoping they will come back after getting all the info and buy something. but still how do i get comments, Mark
Mark

kajm
Trust:
Hi Mark
For what its worth, I just wanted more info before I would act. For instance on your hotel page you gave some good advice on how you select a hotel. The next step is to link directly to a page that has those types of hotels already selected in you hotel tool. Or even break down the selections by city first. Otherwise I'm just going to another site and feel like I'm starting from scratch and doing all the work. If you are linking this way you can use in text linking and I've my text linking gets better results from banner adverts when its highly relavent.
Hope this helps
Kevin
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
hey Mark,

I don't take blind leads for advice. I get out there, meet people in my niche and referr them to my site. since I have already built a relationship with them, I can comfortably ask them for feedback.

I have looked at your site myself, and just from what I have seen, the site doesnt target buying keywords. I believe I have brought this up in one of your previous posts.

I dont really know anything about the travel niche, but there is nothing there to me that compells me to want to buy anything.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

kdruhl
Trust:
Hello Mark,

not sure how you want to monetize your site, but you don't collect any contact info. Convert some of your site content into attractive PDF reports, and offer them as lead bait for opting in to your list, and for access to your premium travel site (that you keep off your navigation bar). That way, you can measure optin rates. Use Google Analytics to track, and find out where visitors are coming from, and who is opting in most, and for what keywords. You need that info to make any progress, else you are groping in the dark.

This topic was started on Jan 28, 2011 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.