Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Is a parenting website too difficult for a newbie like me?

tszewee
Trust:

Is a parenting website too difficult for a newbie like me?

Hi, I'm a newbie too, not frustrated, but more overwhelmed.
i'm very excited by the amount of things to learn. one look at the number of lessons out there shows this is hard work and not some free lunch, and hard work seems more attractive and possible than those "make money easily" promises.
anyway, i've registered a domain and was intending to work on a website about parenting cos that's what i'm familiar with and thought there's a lot of branches that can grow out of there.
problem is i'm getting a bit overwhelmed by the amount of competition out there and the broadness of the topic...
my question: is this topic too difficult for a newbie like me? (cos i'm think so
comments/critiques and/or enocouragement please.

P.S. I was asked by Adrian to start a new thread... is that like a "rule" in forums? that you should not continue a thread even though it's the same concern/topic?
sorry, as you probably can see now, I'm really new to all these- now i now what a new "thread" - not the thread i use for sewing :oops:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
It makes it easier to follow if you have your own thread yes :) More organized that way.

Your topic sounds pretty good to me although I can't help you in any way because I don't know what words you are looking at in order to determine whether they are too broad. I have a hunch they are not going to be but get back to us with what words you are looking to go after and we'll go from there.
tszewee
Trust:
Hi Adrian,
thanks for your prompt reply.
I was thinking under parenting, i can have topics related to kid's behaviors, enrichment programmes, stay at home mums' issues etc...

am i right to assume that i can monetise the site from advertisements, as well as my own reviews of relevant products?

am i answering your question of "what words"?

cheers
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Yes you are correct in monetizing through advertisements as well as product reviews. However it is hard for me to say whether you will do well in this as your first topic without knowing specific words you tend to go after.

For example, do you want your site to rank #1 for the word "kids behaviors" "bad kids behaviors" "parenting issues" etc.... come up with a few keywords you want your site to rank for and then I can let you know whether or not you should be able to do it.
tszewee
Trust:
hey, thanks!
you've helped me to know how to proceed from here. i'll think through that and come back to you again.

thanks again!
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yep, sounds like you could be on a winner, but the only way to really know if to do the research. If you're new and feeling overwhelmed, don't worry, take the time to educate yourself first, then put it all into action.

Since parenting is a broad category, think up a specific type of site and then go for it. Optimising for "parenting" would be way too hard off the bat.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

geoff pun
Trust:
:D hi tszewee,

from a newbie point of view, i find checking on the 60 days course & 90 days roadmap periodically really help u to focus & not to lose direction. when u got 100 & 1 things to do & not knowing which where to go or the big question of "what come next?" it's overwhelming & u lose heart :( . i take a breather & recheck the roadmap. it help u to filter out the non essentials, put your task in a orderly manner & set mini goals. i did do up a personal PLAN, ASSIGNMENT GOAL SETTING & RESEARCH,RESEARCH, RESEARCH to complement the 90days. check mark's mindset of a superaffiliate. (https://www.affilorama.com/members/video ... iliate.php) i find it very important 4 newbies like u & me to have staying power.

c u again, geoff :lol:
tszewee
Trust:
thanks geoff! it's nice to know that i'm not the only one trying to make sense of all these and make it work :D

ok, here's what i hope to get the site ranked for:
kid's nutrition- diet, mealtimes, eating habits etc.
kid's enrichment- activities for kids, enrichment programmes for kids etc.
time out for parents- spending time as couple, time management tips
gifts for kids/great books for kids

i'm envisioning a website with these sub-categories- is this too ambitious for a start?

cheers.
geoff pun
Trust:
:D for me i got like a handful too for my golfing site. i shortlist the topics by comparing the 3 ratios of the number of searches by people versus the number of competitors versus the number of good paying commission with that topic. i rank them with that order too when picking my website optimised word. hope this help.. .also mark , adrain, sean & the rest, feel free to correct or clarfy my statement just in case. :lol:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
Hi Guys,

Will respond soon... got to head over to the bank now to deposit the Clickbank goodies :)
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
tszewee wrote:thanks geoff! it's nice to know that i'm not the only one trying to make sense of all these and make it work :D

ok, here's what i hope to get the site ranked for:
kid's nutrition- diet, mealtimes, eating habits etc.
kid's enrichment- activities for kids, enrichment programmes for kids etc.
time out for parents- spending time as couple, time management tips
gifts for kids/great books for kids

i'm envisioning a website with these sub-categories- is this too ambitious for a start?

cheers.

So to clarify.... your main goal of your site is to rank in Google for the word "kids nutrition" and "kids enrichment" ?
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Kid's nutrition is pretty competitive, but I haven't had a look at the rest.

To know how if the keywords are too ambitious, you'll have to do some research. Look at the number of competitors, the number of allinanchor:keyword, the page rank of the first few results, the number of backlinks for some of the sites on the first page.

Doing all this will allow you to work out if its too competitive.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world