Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Google Keyword Tool Avg Search Volume

cct1109
Trust:

Google Keyword Tool Avg Search Volume

Hi,

Newbie here. Which column I should be paying attention to when I'm using the keyword tool on Google? In the video, Mark talks about the Average Search Volume. These are the headings I see when I put my keywords in (I don't see the Average Search Volume):

Estimated Ad Position
Estimated Avg. CPC
Advertiser Competition
Local Search Volume: April
Global Monthly Search Volume
Search Volume Trends (Jun 2008 - Apr 2009)
Highest Volume Occurred In

If Google's changed it, which column should I use? Or, is there a way to get the Average Search Volume that I'm missing?

Thanks
wollowra
Trust:
It's all important but you should be looking at SEARCH VOLUME.
You want to know how many searches are being done each month.
The higher the better as this most likely means the market is big and there will be alot of customers.

Hope that helps.

Troy
Enjoy the little things, for one day you may look back and realize
they were the big things.

-- Robert Brault

cct1109
Trust:
wollowra wrote:It's all important but you should be looking at SEARCH VOLUME.
You want to know how many searches are being done each month.
The higher the better as this most likely means the market is big and there will be alot of customers.

Hope that helps.

Troy

Does it matter which search volume? There's 3:
Local Search Volume: April
Global Monthly Search Volume
Search Volume Trends (Jun 2008 - Apr 2009)

The "Search Volume Trends" shows a bar graph only (no numbers). Does it matter which search volume I use?
wollowra
Trust:
The local column shows search volume data specific to your targeted country and language.
So if you are in the U.S that is the local traffic data.

The Global column shows AVERAGE monthly totals for the whole world and all languages, if that is how you set it up to search.
This shows you traffic from your own country ( Local traffic ) but you could do that before anyway, just by changing the country preference. Funny that google tries to make it harder than it really needs to be..lol.

Trends will show you if the market is going up or down and what the market is doing.
So.. my conclusion,
The local search only shows the last month... not a long term 12 mth average.
So I would go with Global Monthly Search Volume .
Having said that, it's good to see the local traffic for the last mth as well, so you can see the last mths traffic as well for your country.

Hope that helps.

Troy

-- Robert Brault

cct1109
Trust:
Thanks a million. That helps a lot.
PremiumMember
gardener
Trust:
I hope it is okay to drop my question here because it is related.

I am a bit stuck with the final decisions regarding keywords.

Say I would do a niche about weight loss.

When I check the Search Volume for a title like 'weight loss program' it mentions a Global Monthly Search Volume of 165.000. I have 3 words and a high volume so it would fit.

However when I would add the word 'review' or 'guide' to it like mentioned in the lessons as example/tip, then the number drops down to 1.000 or even less.

Suggestions?
wollowra
Trust:
What you have to remember is "weight loss program" is a broad keyword.
People typing in this keyword are just looking around in my opinion...
They may look at 20 different sites...
But when they search for "XXX XXXXX review" they have decided that this may be the one for them and want to see if there are any good reviews on it.
So the 1000 search volume may be less but much more targeted and related.

Troy

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
fthomas137
Trust:
Agreed on many points. First off, just be forewarned that the weight loss niche is one of the four most popular niches on the internet - weight loss, acne, credit repair and internet marketing. You will have a run for your money to be sure. You are best to carve a sub-niche out of that. Something like getting rid of man boobs. (I laughed when I heard that on one of the videos!)

And second, Troy is 100% correct. A buying keyword is 10 times better in sales then a non-selling keyword. You are not shooting for the moon here, you are looking for at least 1500 broad searches per keyword per month. If you have 25 topic keywords, this brings you to a possible 37,500 search listings per month. Knowing what I know, that will bring you about 15,000 visitors if your keywords are in the top 3 or 4 of google. If you are able to convert 1% of your visitors at a profit of $17 per sale, you have a potential for $2,550 in sales per month.

I'll take that all day over a keyword that has a possibility of 150,000 searches per month that I'm on page 20 for. That'll work out to oh about $0 in sales.

Not trying to be funny, just very honest!

Frank
PremiumMember
gardener
Trust:
Thank you both for your reply.

I realise now also after having read again the week 2 lessons just now that the numbers are not always important.

So I will adjust my list of keywords and make sure I do not have (many) those which 'everybody' has and which are random like 'weight loss program' but which are more product driven.

I will have about 25 keywords which have a good search volume and I will take 5 product names reviews which may not have a high search volume as shown by Google but are more likely to get buyers in.

Frank, yes weight loss is popular so I have a sub-niche there as well, not being man boobs btw LOL.

Thanks again guys, this is very useful and yeah I would not want to be on page 20.

Rob
wollowra
Trust:
fthomas137 wrote:Agreed on many points. First off, just be forewarned that the weight loss niche is one of the four most popular niches on the internet - weight loss, acne, credit repair and internet marketing. You will have a run for your money to be sure. You are best to carve a sub-niche out of that. Something like getting rid of man boobs. (I laughed when I heard that on one of the videos!)

And second, Troy is 100% correct. A buying keyword is 10 times better in sales then a non-selling keyword. You are not shooting for the moon here, you are looking for at least 1500 broad searches per keyword per month. If you have 25 topic keywords, this brings you to a possible 37,500 search listings per month. Knowing what I know, that will bring you about 15,000 visitors if your keywords are in the top 3 or 4 of google. If you are able to convert 1% of your visitors at a profit of $17 per sale, you have a potential for $2,550 in sales per month.

I'll take that all day over a keyword that has a possibility of 150,000 searches per month that I'm on page 20 for. That'll work out to oh about $0 in sales.

Not trying to be funny, just very honest!

Frank

Great Post Frank.

-- Robert Brault

PremiumMember
gardener
Trust:
Your replies have made me enable to move on rapidly today, so again thanks for that.

Another question and I hope I'm not asking too much here.

With choosing the right keyword phrases a tool is to check forums and see what people are talking about. I've done that so that made various keywords and keyword options.

Now, to combine it with the products I am promoting I have also read the content of the particular websites and als am reading introductions which come from for instance free e-mail which I can get by just filling in my e-mail address.

So now I am combining the two, so on one hand the keyword phrases which come along from the search from potential buyers at forums etc. but also keyword phrases which come up on the websites of my products which will attract potential buyers and are connected to keywords I found from the forums.

On my website I will promote one major product and one or two sub-niches which are related to the same issue i.e. weight loss but the programs are not identical in all content.

When I choose the 25 basic keyword phrases, can I combine references to products? For instance, when I have a keyword like 'workout at home' which is pure an example, can I in that 'chapter' refer to two products or should I keep that separate. I do not wanna sound like a compilation website but the lessons do teach to pick more than one product.

I'd appreciate your comments after which I probably will be able to finalise this.

Rob
sonitin
Trust:
When I choose the 25 basic keyword phrases, can I combine references to products? For instance, when I have a keyword like 'workout at home' which is pure an example, can I in that 'chapter' refer to two products or should I keep that separate. I do not wanna sound like a compilation website but the lessons do teach to pick more than one product.

I think you can and you should. Give your customers both the products and tell them why you are recommending both. However, the key is to come up with something that makes sense and does not sounds like blatant promotion.

E.g. for 'workout at home' you can recommend pricey treadmills for those ready to spend a good amount of money, while you can recommend some other cheaper products for those who are not sure about spending a lot of money for a home gym.

Your reason to recommend two different products should make sense. You might also offer two products in combination explaining how they are complimentary to each other and offer faster, better benefits.
"offshoreally.com" - One click for all outsourcing requirements including bookmarking, submissions, dedicated staff, link building..

Looking for a qualified virtual assistant to help you with your work? Click here - "offshoreally.com/internet-marketing-outsourcing-seo/virtual-assistant-link-building"

Enter The" Bad Ass" SEO Guest Blogging Contest to WIN CASH PRIZES http://bit.ly/9knBFs

PM me for coupon codes!

PremiumMember
gardener
Trust:
Great post Sonitin. Thank you. This is very useful.

I also believe opinions and comparisons - to a certain degree, with good tact - will attract people more than only a general article.

Rob
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Don't forget having about 5 review keyword phrases to really target those long tail searches that already have a specific product in mind - these people are ready to buy!
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

This topic was started on Jun 09, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.