Looking for ideas or need advice in a new market? Keyword research, market competition, size of the market - can all be discussed here.

Frustrated about finding niche

tlittle08
Trust:

Frustrated about finding niche

Hi. ive been searching for awhile now trying to find a niche. I type keyword phrases into travis travis and google keyword tool. about how many searches a month does a keyword phrase need to have to be a "good" keyword phrase. Also do the other 25-30 keyword phrases need to have the same amount of searches too? Also a question about competition. If a keyword has 246,000 global monthly searches with low competion what does this mean? does this mean im going to rank well for this keyword? dont make sense to me. What about a keyword that has 480 global monthly searches with medium competition? Or a keyword with 9,900 searches with high competition? How well would it be to rank for this keywords? Thanks. I appreciate the help and any advice so much!

Tyler
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
well if you are judging the competition by the Google tool, those competition numbers are based on ppc competition. it has nothing to do with targeting them for seo.

it really depends on the niche. I usually look for a main keyword for my site with 50,000 global monthly searches, then for the article pages I usually look for 500-1000 monthly searches. Sometimes I go for less, but that range is usually pretty easy to rank for, although there are more factors to look at.

use the keyword analysis tool in Traffic Travis to look at the SEO competition for your keywords. I look for keywords with little on page seo factors and less than 100 backlinks to the page.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

jcdean
Trust:
James gave some good ideas, I would add that you want key words that the pay-per-click people are paying to advertise on. If the pay-per-click cost are .05 there is no money in it.

I am trying to rank for some product names that the PPC guys are paying over $20.00 a click for, at the moment.

I registered a domain recently that I know will pay big when i get around to it. I registered "http://www.adwordsebook{dot}org"
Only a few thousand searches but the PPC costs are over 5 bucks a click for "adwords ebook" so I know I will be in high cotton when I rank.

I guess what I am trying to say is make sure that you are optimizing for money making terms. I have littered the web with blogs, posts, and articles that rank well and get traffic like crazy but don't make sales.
Last edited by sydney on 29 Mar 11 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed broken link

Respect,
JC Dean

faradina
Trust:
jcdean wrote:I guess what I am trying to say is make sure that you are optimizing for money making terms.

It is indeed the keywords with buying intent that convert the best. In one of my websites I promote internet security software and I find that the best converting keywords on that site are those phrases that have "cost", "price", "purchase", and similar in them. When people type in search terms like that, they are more than halfway ready to buy.
Site Admin
michellerana
Trust:
tlittle08 wrote:Also do the other 25-30 keyword phrases need to have the same amount of searches too?

No, they don't need to have the same search volumes. For 20 articles, you need a total search count of 5,000 for all your keywords combined. It's fine if some keywords are only 500 searches a month, or 1,000 searches a month. As long as when the 20 keywords you choose are added together the combined search count is over 5,000.
Michelle
Customer Support
=========================

Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: http://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
ljp26
Trust:
michellerana wrote:
tlittle08 wrote:Also do the other 25-30 keyword phrases need to have the same amount of searches too?

No, they don't need to have the same search volumes. For 20 articles, you need a total search count of 5,000 for all your keywords combined. It's fine if some keywords are only 500 searches a month, or 1,000 searches a month. As long as when the 20 keywords you choose are added together the combined search count is over 5,000.

Based on the replies above, Is it fair to say that not only do we need to find a combined search count > 5,000, but we also need to make sure that each keyword has a reasonable PPC cost?
Laurie Phillips

Sundance Research
www.sundanceresearch.net

stefan1601
Trust:
jmpruitt wrote:
it really depends on the niche. I usually look for a main keyword for my site with 50,000 global monthly searches, then for the article pages I usually look for 500-1000 monthly searches. Sometimes I go for less, but that range is usually pretty easy to rank for, although there are more factors to look at.

use the keyword analysis tool in Traffic Travis to look at the SEO competition for your keywords. I look for keywords with little on page seo factors and less than 100 backlinks to the page.

James, you actually target a keyword with 50,000 monthly searches? How long does it takes to get into Google first page for that?
PremiumMember
jmpruitt
Trust:
depends on the keywords, and competition, but usually about 4-5 months. Also, you have to realise, having several sites making money, I can afford to be patient and take a long time. I know the benefits. that is why I work a mixture of low search keywords and high search keywords.

Another thing is that often as your site gets older, it gets easier to rank for new keywords. I have one I just added to one of my older sites ( over 1 1/2 years old) and I got it ranking for a 10k monthly search keyword with med competition (I think it got a 3 star in tt, but i dont pay too much attention to that) had it up and ranking within a month. Age and the ammount of content to your site plays a huge factor. that is why sites like EZA and Hubpages rank so highly with poorly optimized articles and no backlinks. They have a lot of content, millions of backlinks to the site, and so they have authority.

I am not affraid of competition. that usually means there is a lot of money being spent on a keyword.

for example, if you look at my homecash site, the main keyword for the homepage in "make money from home" - 60,000 monthly searches. a lot of competition, but in my opinion well worth the time it will take to get up there. especially in this economy.
Do you want to use your online content to Educate others, inspire them to action, and run a profitable business for yourself and your family? I can help you get started
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUvDlGM242pI2D5TUOCWd7A

oliverjohnson
Trust:
hey i'm new to affiliate marketing, and have just signed up and i'm interested in creating my own website, as i have previous experience with Dreamweaver. However i do not yet understand all this keyword business and the relevance of how they relate to gaining more traffic and in fact, i have no idea how to even begin to start looking at keywords. I just need some help on this issue. thanks
ollie
faradina
Trust:
Welcome to Affilorama, Ollie!

Go through our Free Affiliate Marketing Lessons and you will soon know all about those :)

This topic was started on Nov 20, 2010 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.