Build a mailing list? Want to blog for a living? Then you're gonna need some content. Find out where to get it and the best way to use it here.

Article question re: duplicate content

surebiz07
Trust:

Article question re: duplicate content

If I place an original article on my website and then submit the same article to the article directories will I get penalized for duplicate content ?
PremiumMember
promocode
Trust:
If you put it on your website first and wait 'til the page gets indexed, then submit it - you're the originator and others are using your content, so you'll be okay. Personally, I'm not a big fan of submitting an article exactly as I have it on my site though. I prefer to modify it slightly, especially the title, before submitting to an article directory - I figure I'll get more mileage out of it that way... maybe someone else has a different opinion though.

PC
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Modifying it a little is a good idea. But you can get away with posting it "as is" to a ton of directories and it won't be a big deal.

As long as you make sure it's on your site first, there shouldn't be any problems.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
I would change it a little bit... reword a couple paragraphs.
laterales
Trust:
What about if you have a site, then you realise that you've gone a wee bit off topic in places. Still relevant but really better off somewhere else.

How would you go about moving it all to a different site without the search engines thinking you'de copied someone else's entire site :?:
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
laterales wrote:What about if you have a site, then you realise that you've gone a wee bit off topic in places. Still relevant but really better off somewhere else.

How would you go about moving it all to a different site without the search engines thinking you'de copied someone else's entire site :?:

You would have to reword it at least 50%.
stevenar
Trust:
Hmm couldn't you just take the article off and wait for google to come back to that page and now they will read your page as blank. Therefore that content will no longer be on the internet anymore and posting it on another site/page will be treated as new. I'm not really an expert at this, i have no idea if that works.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
stevenar wrote:Hmm couldn't you just take the article off and wait for google to come back to that page and now they will read your page as blank. Therefore that content will no longer be on the internet anymore and posting it on another site/page will be treated as new. I'm not really an expert at this, i have no idea if that works.

That's an interesting concept although I don't think it would pass.... once the crawler reads it... it's read...... plus your page would now show nothing and it would hurt the site... unless you did a 301 on the page... it's a lot of work....

I say just reword it :)
PremiumMember
sean06
Trust:
Yeh I agree with Adrian. I don't think it matters where it is, but google knows what has already been done and what hasn't.
www.SixDayWeekend.com
Free Training Videos reveal how I make 6 figures while travelling the world