Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

WordPress Training, article post and general help

Mike09
Trust:

WordPress Training, article post and general help

Hello all,

This is my first official post on this forum, please forgive me in advance for its length. I'm presently jumping on the bandwagon that is WordPress. I have no WordPress website to speak of at present, I'm just experimenting with its features in anticipation of better days to come. Unfortunately I really don't yet know how to get it to do what I want. Hence, I would appreciate any suggestions as to where I might go to get a free or cheap comprehensive step by step training. Preferably an on-line video course, and Ideally training tailored towards my needs, possibly one to one tuition on-line or otherwise - note I'm based in the UK.

Alternatively any direct instruction/advice you could give here would also be greatly appreciated. I intend to build one site to start as a testing platform. It will simply be an article related site, not a Blog. I have a large amount of relevant content, and figured cutting and pasting would not provide such a large learning curve. All I intend is a page with a title banner and three columns. One for advertising, one for widgets/plugins and the main for my posts. I attempted this and was able to add new posts - simple enough, but they appeared in full one after the other not as I expected in truncated form with the option to read more. I know this has got to be a simple fix but that just speaks to my knowledge of WordPress. That being said, I'm actually graphic design trained and half decent with FrontPage but as I'm sure you will agree WordPress is the future. I've looked at article styled themes for a quick solution, but on reflection would prefer to at least learn how to amend the appearance of post without relaying on their use. I believe the more I can manipulate the basic of WordPress without relying on themes/templates the better able I will be and using themes to enhance my sites later on.

Thanks for reading

Mike
cecille.l
Trust:
Hi Mike,

There are plenty of training videos for Wordpress in YouTube.

I attempted this and was able to add new posts - simple enough, but they appeared in full one after the other not as I expected in truncated form with the option to read more.

You can go to Settings > Reading and set the blog posts to be displayed at 5 or 10 so that they are not shown at full length on one page.

Hope that helps. Have a good day!
Cecille

Building affiliate marketing websites is a breeze: https://www.affilorama.com/affilojetpack
Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/affilorama

Mike09
Trust:
Thanks for your help. There does appear to be a lack of trust however on these forums. Thanks all the same.
PremiumMember
jimcoe
Trust:
I've looked at article styled themes for a quick solution, but on reflection would prefer to at least learn how to amend the appearance of post without relaying on their use. I believe the more I can manipulate the basic of WordPress without relying on themes/templates the better able I will be and using themes to enhance my sites later on.

I believe you've made a poor decision above. WordPress provides for the use of themes exactly for "manipulating the basics of WordPress". And the better the theme, the more flexibility it will provide. For this reason, I recommend paying for a commercial theme, rather than using one of the many free themes often written by amateurs.

In particular, for my professional Website/Blog development clients I usually use the "Genesis Framework" and the themes from http://www.StudioPress.com.

The only alternatives I know to using the tools in your theme to customize WordPress (beyond a few minor changes allowed in the base system) are to learn PHP programming and hack WordPress itself, or use lots of inline CSS code in every page or post.

I also use several WordPress plugins for special features, page widgets, forms, calendars, bookings, database protection, advanced editing and more.

As far as training goes there must be many good books available. I favor the O'reilly publishers for this sort of book. http://oreilly.com/

Hope this helps....
_jim coe

This topic was started on Oct 18, 2012 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.