Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Uploaded to wrong domain. Will I be penalized?

paulie69
Trust:

Uploaded to wrong domain. Will I be penalized?

Hi everyone,

I've been working on my first site and trying to get it uploaded - It's an addon domain on Hostgator. I found today that I had accidentally uploaded it to my primary FTP directory ie on my main domain a few days ago so I've basically had pretty much duplicate content hosted on both domains for a few days now. I've fixed the problem now having erased the site from my main domain (it just has an "under construction" message for the moment)... my addon domain is working fine now.

My primary domain has been around for a couple of months but has had no content until a few days ago, that is when I accidentally uploaded my site :( but my addon domain has only been up for a 2 or 3 days now.

I see from awstats that my main domain has been visited by several bots (MSN etc.) I think they already visited my addon domain too.

Can anyone please tell me if my addon domain will be penalised for having duplicate content - it was all my own content, of course, just duplicated websites. Is it okay now I have effectively erased the duplication on my primary domain?

Hope I'm making sense I'm just panicking over this! Do I have to worry??

Thanks in advance,
Regards
Paul.
faradina
Trust:
Since you have already removed the duplicate content, any "penalty" will be mitigated the next time your sites are crawled. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
paulie69
Trust:
Wow Fara, that was quick -thankyou very much. I thought I might have to worry all night about this! I assumed I might have to rewrite everything which would be a pity since it's all unique content. Oh I forgot to ask, how can I be really sure that I've completely erased all the content from my primary domain? Thanks again :) Paul
faradina
Trust:
Open the file manager on your web hosting server. You will be able to see all existing files on the primary domain through the file manager.
paulie69
Trust:
Thanks very much Fara, I really appreciate your help...

Kind regards
Paul.
jpastorizo
Trust:
Hey Paul,

It seems that you were such in a hurry to publish your new site that you were not able to check which domain you were uploading it too. LOL!

Like Fara said, dont worry about it. Besides, the google bot may have not crawled your new site yet. =)

Regards,
Renato
HOW WE DID 200K+ ON THE DEADEST MONTH OF ECOMMERCE
WATCH HERE => www.slingly.us/replay

paulie69
Trust:
Hey Renato,

How's things? I was wondering how you were...
Yeah I was totally confused actually, it was my first site; and you're right, I was in a hurry too lol. I created my primary site as a site for my wife to play around with a couple of months ago when I got my hosting - it had nothing on it but a cpanel login screen until a few days ago. I was worried because I first uploaded my site to the primary domain instead of my intended one - the addon domain. SO I thought if it gets indexed first I might be in trouble, which I think it did :(

I couldn't see any reference to googlebot in the stats for either domain but there was a ref. to unknown bot and bots from both msn and yahoo slurp (yahoo slurp bot only in the primary - not the addon!) Do you think I should be worried about them? I worked so hard on my content. I hope to God they dont penalize me. Anyway hopefully I have deleted all files from the wrong copy of the site on the primary

I guess this is a pretty common thing to happen I just don't know how the SE's really look at it, afterall it's an honest mistake

Thanks Renato,
Regards
Paul.
jpastorizo
Trust:
I'm doing good buddy. I hope you are doing good as well.
I have been busy doing a lot of stuff so I am not able to help out here in the forum as much as I want to.

Dont worry about the duplicate content. i think your sites is going to be just fine.

Regards,
Renato
PS are you using google analytics to track activities on your sites?

paulie69
Trust:
Hey Renato,

Glad to hear you're well my friend:) Yeah - I think I'm getting some confidence back now, thanks! I'm not using G.A yet, still tweaking my site, you know how it is, still have heaps of work to do, uploading articles etc. I'm only just coming to terms with cpanel webstats lol I'm a slow learner sometimes but I will get there.

Maybe I can pm you sometime, we can organise a chat when we're both free, just say hello etc.?

Thanks heaps
Regards
Paul
jpastorizo
Trust:
Hey buddy,

I sent you a PM.

Renato

This topic was started on Sep 23, 2009 and has been closed due to inactivity. If you want to discuss this topic further, please create a new forum topic.