Need a new web host or having a problem with a script? Tips and advice on the best way to design, build and maintain your most valuable asset - your website!

Uploaded my site - colors changed, no images - What's wrong?

kevin1234
Trust:

Uploaded my site - colors changed, no images - What's wrong?

hi I uploaded my site and it all went crazy the colors changed or didnt appear , photos dont show some do,fonts changed, cant see links, borders are showing. but on dreamweaver its all good. dose any one know what went wrong.
kevin1234
Trust:
site is (site no longer exists) if you need to see the wreckage.
cheers kevin
Last edited by ampie g on 26 Jan 10 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: broken link removed

kevin1234
Trust:
its ok ive managed to get it sorted I just need to work out why my pages wont link together. I can bring them up seperatley so they are there
thanks kevin
kevin1234
Trust:
I managed to figure it all out thanks
kevin1234
Trust:
I thought I had it sorted my site looks good from my computer but when I look at it From my work computer it is all buggered up again.
kevin
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
What is the site link? We can help you better...

Adrian,
Site Admin
markling
Trust:
All your files and things are pointing to files on your computer, not on the web. For instance, the browser is trying to find the style sheet for your website here:

But of course it can't, because this is a file on your computer. It should (probably) say

In Dreamweaver you need to go into the manage site box, click "edit", and then in "local info" enter the source of your files into the "local root folder" box. All images and other files you use in your site must first be put into your website folder -- you can't just hunt for them on your computer.

Otherwise, you can go into "code" view of your website in Dreamweaver and delete all references to "documents and settings... etc, etc".

Your site also looks confused because you're specifying fonts that might not exist on other people's machines. Google "system fonts" to find out what some standard fonts are, or Dreamweaver should have a list as well.

Regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

Site Admin
markling
Trust:
Also, I'm not sure if this is the case, but it looks like you're using a whole bunch of photos from a whole bunch of different photobucket users on your site. If they're not your photos then you dont' really have a right to use them.

There are lots of places for stock photography, www.istockphoto.com is pretty cheap, and http://www.sxc.hu/ has free photos.

You should also be hosting these photos on your own site, otherwise it slows your site down and (as I can see at the top of your page) you get "bandwidth exceeded" graphics appearing where your images should be. Not cool!

Regards,
Mark
Limited time special - Pathway to Passive for $37: https://www.affilorama.com/pathwaytopassive

PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
adrian wrote:What is the site link? We can help you better...

Adrian,

Woops didnt' even see your site link post.

Yup do what Mark said and you will be right :)

Adrian,
elmo033057
Trust:
Kevin,

Go on eBay or Amazon and get Dreamweaver for Dummies. You can get a cheaper used version of the book at one of those places. It will cut right to the chase about what you really need to know.

Also, you can get a used copy of Laura Lamay's "Sams - Teach Yourself HTML 4 in 21 Days" book. This is an awesome publication. I know you hear how easy all of this stuff is, and it is if you dedicate yourself to learn and educate yourself.

You really need to learn a little HTML anyway because things come up in the code every now and then that you will have to fix. Otherwise, go to http://www.guru.com and get someone to do it for you cheaply.

God Bless my Affilo-bud
Flame-On!!!
Elmo :mrgreen:
Mark Ellis a.k.a. "ELMO" Owner Ellistrations http://www.ellistrations.com

kevin1234
Trust:
I have been doing abit of html coding study and it seems theree are many missing from my site so I am working through them it is coming good online . ive only done the index page .should i leave my site online while i work through it or should i remove it.
the photos i have used some are from photo bucket as mark said .i read through there terms and conditions before i used them and it came across to me that i was allowed to use them.please let me know if this is not the case.thanks kev
kevin1234
Trust:
also does any one no what &nbsp means its all over the code but i cant find what its for its in black bold.
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
kevin1234 wrote:also does any one no what &nbsp means its all over the code but i cant find what its for its in black bold.

It means the same as one spacebar space.

Adrian,
PremiumMember
chatyak86
Trust:
kevin1234 wrote:I have been doing abit of html coding study and it seems theree are many missing from my site so I am working through them it is coming good online . ive only done the index page .should i leave my site online while i work through it or should i remove it.
the photos i have used some are from photo bucket as mark said .i read through there terms and conditions before i used them and it came across to me that i was allowed to use them.please let me know if this is not the case.thanks kev

To leave one page of your website up? I would leave one page up to leave it indexed. Don't use photobucket.. use free stock exchange.

Adrian,